• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

How to dual boot when Windows 10 BitLocker encrypts my whole drive?

John1776

Sep 25, 2020
Hi, yesterday I bought a new HP ENVY 13 x360. https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c06703649 It came with Windows 10 preinstalled, and it also has the whole drive encrypted. I wanted to dual boot this computer with Manjaro Linux, as it is necessary for my university to have linux. After booting up the computer for the first time it opened Windows installation where I configured everything, installed a few programs, etc. After that, I wanted to boot from a Pendrive and install Manjaro alongside it. After choosing the USB stick in the Boot Menu I got an error saying some stuff about it not being Authenticated. After a quick look at the BiOS, I disabled Secure Boot thinking this was the cause. After doing so I couldn't boot into anything and I was getting info where BitLocker was asking for some password in order to recover my drive. I turned off the computer, went into the BIOS, and re-enabled Secure Boot, afterward I was able to boot into Windows again.

On the Manjaro forum they told me that's basically impossible for me to install Manjaro there, but it can be done with Ubuntu because it can deal with encryption or something, and as far I am aware PopOS is not only based on Ubuntu but itself can offer encryption. That's why I wanted to ask you for help to install PopOS on my laptop. I can see that this may be complicated to solve that's why I'm posting my problem here to get a concrete and safe answer. How can I dual boot my new computer?

I also got this reply from an HP forum:
1601067131392.png

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I don't know Bitlocker, but if the whole disk is encrypted you won't be able to dual boot. You would have to turn off Bitlocker, format and reinstall both OS after disabling secure boot and fast boot.

When installing Pop in the default single boot scenario with full-disk encryption, you can't dual boot either.

Reactions: John1776

John1776

Sep 25, 2020
I don't know Bitlocker, but if the whole disk is encrypted you won't be able to dual boot. You would have to turn off Bitlocker, format, and reinstall both OS after disabling secure boot and fast boot.

When installing Pop in the default single boot scenario with full-disk encryption, you can't dual boot either.
I don't/want any encryption to be honest. But if I manage to turn off BitLocker encryption. Would that enable me to dual boot?
1601067836375.png

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Yes, it should. There may be other BIOS settings you need to tweak as well. I've done it myself with a new HP laptop.

Here is some information to consider before proceeding to ensure you get it right.

EDIT: If you intend to keep Windows, make sure you keep a copy of the product key so you can always get a new ISO to install if necessary.

Reactions: John1776

John1776

Sep 25, 2020
Yes, it should. There may be other BIOS settings you need to tweak as well. I've done it myself with a new HP laptop.

Here is some information to consider before proceeding to ensure you get it right.

EDIT: If you intend to keep Windows, make sure you keep a copy of the product key so you can always get a new ISO to install if necessary.
I do not have the product key, the laptop came with Windows installed and has a recovery partition. I will try to securely turn off encryption for now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebgucciardi