• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Guide Beginner How to use a VPN in Pop!_OS 19.04

Knoxtane

Jun 24, 2019
California, USA
So, you're wanting to know how to use a VPN in Linux, specifically Pop!_OS. Well here is how.

Open A Terminal

Pop!_OS
Press Windows+t on your keyboard. A Terminal window should open.

Ubuntu
Press Ctrl+Alt+t on your keyboard. A Terminal window should open.

Install openvpn
Enter the following command followed by Enter:
sudo apt-get install openvpn

Install Packages

sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

Also, ensure that the resolvconf is installed:

sudo apt install resolvconf

Open Network Settings
Access OpenVPN setting in the Settings application (GNOME Control Center)

GNOME-Control-Center

Getting a .ovpn file

OpenVPN uses ‘.ovpn’ files for setting up the VPN on your system and includes the servers to contact. Most VPN providers will provide a .ovpn file such as the following:
Using a .ovpn file
After getting a .ovpn (OpenVPN file type) click the plus icon to the right of the VPN section. A dialog will as show will open. Click "Import from file…"

VPN-Dialog

Select the "ovpn" file downloaded from your VPN provider.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Good info, but if it is a guide for beginners you might want to include how to get the vpn connection started. Also how to use 'Advanced Network Configuration' to make it persistent and start whenever the network is started. As a bonus piece of security info for beginners here is a link to a crude but extremely effective vpn killswitch. If your VPN drops the killswitch will cut the connection so you're not on an unencrypted network.

EDIT: I'll also second a referral for ProtonVPN and include one for AirVPN.

Last edited:

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
I am very much looking forward to the integration of wireguard for my VPN needs in the future.

Thanks for the OpenVPN guide though.

RCraig

Aug 1, 2019
Willard, Ohio
I hear that ExpressVPN ( https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-linux ) is very highly rated; a little on the pricey side (12 months for $99.95) but they do offer a 30-day money back guarantee, no activity logs, no connection logs, no DNS query logs (they run their own private encrypted DNS servers), leakproof, built-in network lock in case you drop your VPN connection, unlimited bandwidth (no capping), AES 256 encrypted connection, email and live chat support (24 hour live chat support), and the ability to connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.

Quick 3min tutorial on how to set it up may be viewed on youtube:

My birthday is coming up... think I'll get this one.

david1953

Jul 22, 2020
So, you're wanting to know how to use a VPN in Linux, specifically Pop!_OS. Well here is how.

Open A Terminal

Pop!_OS
Press Windows+t on your keyboard. A Terminal window should open.

Ubuntu
Press Ctrl+Alt+t on your keyboard. A Terminal window should open.

Install openvpn
sudo apt-get install openvpn

Install Packages
sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

Also, ensure that the resolvconf is installed:

sudo apt install resolvconf

Open Network Settings
Access OpenVPN setting in the Settings application (GNOME Control Center)

GNOME-Control-Center

Getting a .ovpn file

OpenVPN uses ‘.ovpn’ files for setting up the VPN on your system and includes the servers to contact. Most VPN providers will provide a .ovpn file such as the following:
Using a .ovpn file
After getting a .ovpn (OpenVPN file type) click the plus icon to the right of the VPN section. A dialog will as show will open. Click "Import from file…"

VPN-Dialog

Select the "ovpn" file downloaded from your VPN provider.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinity