• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question How to work without Dock / Taskbar in pop1904

August

Jun 12, 2019
I have been using Ubuntu since 14.04 and I quite liked unity. Now at home, I'm still using Ubuntu 18.04. When I launch slack, I can see in the dock on the right and in systray top-right change in ICON, notifying me that someone wrote to me in Slack. Or when did Firefox finished downloading etc.

I decided to give a try pop-os 1904 at work, but I'm a bit baffled by lack of "currently open apps, notification/status feedback". Am I missing something?
I use workspaces and press "Super/Windows" key to switch apps, see what's open.

Is all there is? In that case congratulation, you (Gnome team) have made Windows 8 "metro" which makes a huge decrease in productivity. I know this is GNOME question and Gnome was planning to remove systray, but I would expect Pop-OS to have a default option for this, for taskbar/dock. I know that extensions can be installed, but I want to understand how pop-os is meant to be used efficiently.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I love the uncluttered look of GNOME, and for me the answer to functionality and work flow is automation, keyboard shortcuts and CLI. I have most notifications turned off, but if you want notifications to pop up for things, just turn them on in Application settings and Notifications.

August

Jun 12, 2019
Could you give a glimpse of how that would look? Or share some good resource? I don't know if it's the best forum to ask, but general tips for effective work with Gnome.

Hide things: What about Spotify, VPN agent, etc Windows, things you don't want to see in Activities as they clutter up view (move them to the most bottom workspace?)
See status: I do want to see somewhere that there are unread slack messages or VPN got disconnected.

Terminal new tab, there seems to be no shortcut to switch between tabs. Is it even good way to work in the terminal with tabs? Why then don't bundle with tmux?

I'm not ranting, I honestly want pop-os to stick

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I might tackle this a little at a time, and see where it goes. Dash-to-dock and dash-to-panel are very popular extensions because they bring an element of familiarity, and everyone knows to click icons with a mouse, but because I'm loving the uncluttered look of GNOME - I've persevered and learned an alternate way - the GNOME way. It's taken a couple years to fully embrace the idea and set things up to my liking, so it isn't something that you will do immediately, but some patience will payoff later. Besides, I've observed over the last couple years, both on Pop and Fedora, that these extensions break the desktop pretty regularly and people waste a lot of time fixing the desktop.

The first step is automation. Anything that you do every time you start the computer should be automated. There are ways to do this for everything and it may involve a little digging around, maybe a little CLI, but it will be something that frees you up. For starters, you can help yourself in this manner by learning a little about Systemd and systemctl if you don't already.

The absolute best way to utilize GNOME without an extension dock is to learn the default keyboard extensions, Pop's custom keyboard shortcuts and make your own - and use them. It will take time, but once mastered you will see how much quicker it is to work without clicking around so much. For example, I think the main reason people want a dock or panel is to be able to mouse click on a program icon to launch it. I have all my commonly use programs set up with keyboard shortcuts for launching them. It can be done by adding them to the bottom of the list in Settings>devices>keyboard. I have Firefox launch a new window when I hit super + b. Chromium is super + c, Gedit is super + g, Alacriyty is super + y and Atom is ctl + super + @, to name a few. When launching in this manner the windows will start in the same place they were last running, so you don't have to drag them around, saving time. Keyboard navigation and window control is a heap quicker and better than going for the mouse constantly. You want to go to a window of the same program currently running, hit alt + `, or if you want to toggle through all open windows hit alt + esc. Then there is always alt + tab, which gives you a little app bar that you can toggle through as well. Moving windows around, from one place to another, including different monitors and different desktops is easy when you learn how.

I'll do something on notifications and terminal tabs later, but lets see if you have any questions about shortcuts or automation.

bekips

Apr 30, 2019
you can configure Pop to use gnome the way ubuntu does.

August

Jun 12, 2019
In the 90ties, I loved 3d shooters, Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake etc. I didn't have the internet at time and I was decent playing singleplayer. Once in the school after classes guys started playing Quake - first ever multiplayer, I was worst in the group, by far, but I was blown away the most to see that they ACTUALLY USED MOUSE to AIM, not slow arrows on keyboard keys like me (it never occurred to me to use mouse, that it works in the game). My whole life was a lie. So I wanted to make sure, I'm not missing anything, and not repeating sad story of not being aware of a much more effective way.
Thank you @derpOmattic I will try your suggestions to fully embrace keyboard and ditch the mouse (oh the irony of my story :ROFLMAO:).

For notification, I installed Kstatusnotifieritem gnome extension, it kind of solves immediate problem of status/feedback

August

Jun 12, 2019
you can configure Pop to use gnome the way ubuntu does.
thanks, I know, that's the beauty of Linux, but I wanted to understand what is Pop!_OSenian true way, without any tweaks out of the box. Otherwise, why not enable those tweaks by default in OS build.

bekips

Apr 30, 2019
For notification, I installed Kstatusnotifieritem gnome extension, it kind of solves immediate problem of status/feedback
yeah that extension is a must have regardless of how the rest of the desktop is used

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryHTX