• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

I can't sudo

kevinix

Oct 29, 2020
Halp. I just installed pop os for a few days and have been trying to configure it.

I was following some guides from google and copy pasting in stuff.

I think I did:
Code:
usermod -aG /data kevin
while following a guide to automount my drives.

though I'm not sure why that would ruin my sudo.

But now, after restarting my computer, I can't sudo.

it says:

Code:
kevin@pop-os:~$ sudo gnome-disks
[sudo] password for kevin: 
kevin is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
So I try this:

Code:
kevin@pop-os:~$ usermod -aG sudo kevin
usermod: Permission denied.
usermod: cannot lock /etc/passwd; try again later.
Do I need to reinstall the OS? >_<

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019

kevinix

Oct 29, 2020
I think sudo whoami would probably give me the same kevin is not in the sudoers file after I tried to sudo.

Also, I think my GRUB is broken, since I don't get the grub menu when booting. So I'm not sure if the chroot guide to repair would work, since I'm having troubles running as root. It might be easier for me to just reinstall the OS. Luckily I don't have anything important installed yet anyway. But thanks for your help guys.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonzenith