• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Image preview in "open file" dialogue

ratemyduck

Jul 21, 2020
So, I'm going a bit bonkers here. I have a directory with all photos/videos from my phone, and I want to post a series of those on FB.

1595334759077.png

So I get this dialogue. And that seems to be regardless of browser, so I guess it comes from the OS. I need images previews to select the right ones. It works in "Files", and I've set the limit of preview generation to 50MB, and to do it everywhere. Up until now I've been picking out the files in 'Files' and then selected them in the open dialogue, but this is making me increasingly irritated and I really need to fix it somehow.
I haven't started to fiddle around with standard apps just yet. I am willing to switch browser if that helps - The result is the same in Firefox and Chrome. Please help me with this before I chuck my laptop out the window.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Many people use GSConnect for sharing content between devices. Maybe look at the home page or wiki for more info.

Having said, the thing I would try first is opening an instance of Nautilus with administrative rights. In Terminal type sudo nautilus. Be careful in there and close it when finished.

ratemyduck

Jul 21, 2020
Thanks for you quick response!

I might have missunderstood you, but I do not want to send files to another device. The files are already on my local harddrive. I want to select them in an upload dialogue in Firefox. I guess this is some general "choose file" modal window.
Running nautilus with sudo would probably cause files owned by root to be created in my home directory, and further I cannot really see how it would make a difference: All gnome settings, as far as I know, resides under ~/.config.

Did some digging at last: It seems to be unsolved so far.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alur222