• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Install error: archive extraction failed with status: exit code 1

qerqeq

Nov 16, 2020
Hi! I'm installing Pop!_OS v20.10, and I received the error within the title. The attached file shows the complete log with all the information I received after the installation failed. I used the nVidia installation, (as I have an nVidia card; parts linked here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zZQn68 ) and within the demo I formatted the drive I was going to install the OS on several times. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you very much!

Attachments

qerqeq

Nov 16, 2020
Here's an article which outlines the common mistakes and problems installing Pop. If that isn't helpful, you can copy your text file into the Pastebin and post the link back here.
I have done everything in this article, but it was still gives me the exact same error as before. I'm suspecting that the nvme drive I am installing Pop!_OS onto may be faulty, as it is the only variable in the operation that I haven't looked at. I have used this drive for other purposes before though, and there is no reason for it fail. before the installation process fails, the installer successfully formats the drive and implements the file structure.

qerqeq

Nov 16, 2020
New information & bump:
Though I am still receiving the same error, I can rule out drive failure. Using "smartctl" on the demo version of Pop!_OS, I received a lot of information helping me confirm that my drive was, in fact, not dead.

Though I was, to some degree, hoping that it was drive failure just so I could know what was causing this issue in the first place Now that I know that it's not that, I am back where I started not knowing what in the world is causing this install failure.

I have checked to make sure that that the flashing&booting went right: I used Etcher, I checked the hash, I used 3 different drives to flash on (all of which failed), I adjusted all of my UEFI/BIOS settings&preferences, I booted from the right drive, but time and time again I received the exact. same. error.

I really like Pop!_OS, but if I'm not able to resolve this, I will install a different distro. If it works then, it will be an installation issue. If it doesn't work even with a different distro, then it's totally me and I still have a lot of work to do.

I will provide an update as soon as I do/don't get the install working.

Thank you for the help!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nazar2sfive