• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Installation - 19.10amd64intel to Intel NUC NUC6CAYH

nkohler

Nov 10, 2019
Hello,

I'm trying to install 19.10amd64intel to an Intel NUC NUC6CAYH, and haven't been able to get it done successfully yet. I haven't bought and added an HD yet so I wanted to run the O/s from a usb drive in persistent live mode. I'll run it off the USB drive until I can purchase a proper SSD unit. I installed the iso using Etcher.

The way I am understanding how to do it is:
Install iso to usb media - done.
Attach usb drive with install media to the NUC.
Attach usb drive that will house the install. Install O/s.
Remove install media and boot to the other drive.
Somewhere in the process, set it so it knows its the persistent drive.
There is already another instance of an Ubuntu server on another usb that is not plugged in now that I would Like to have plugged in then upon power up, get an option to select O/s for boot. For now I'm just getting PopOs installed.

As far as the bios goes, UEFI is on , and legacy is off.

Went through the process once and at the point where its asking, I select custom install, and set a 500 mb boot partition on ext 4, a swap drive of 500 mb (which was set to linux swap which I switched to ext 4 (?), I set the home partition to ext4 6 gb and the rest to data drive on ext4 for data. 16 gb usb drive - Sandisk.

Now, I read yesterday that if set to UEFI boot mode, you Don't / shouldnt add a boot partition... Is this correct?

And now, after it appears to install (again, ? lol)... got to a PopO/s desktop and such but after install media removed, get this:

In yellow and white shell prompt:

EFI Shell version 2.5 [5.12]
Current running mode 1.1.2
Device mapping table
Then it proceeds to list:

blk0 :Removeable blk device - Alias (null)
PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x15,0x0)/USB(0x3,0x0) /HD (1, GPT, then a long code after that 0x something or other)

Repeat 4 more times in a similar fashion for these:

blk1
blk2
blk3
blk4
blk5

Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, other key to continue.

I type exit, and it says: Bootable device not detected.

In Intel Bios, Boot Order section,
UEFI tab: UEFI boot is checked, but in Boot Drive Order says No Boot Drive (this may be a hint as to why it wont boot)
Legacy Boot tab: Legacy Boot not checked

I click Advanced, and in Boot Config tab, UEFI Boot section:
OS Selection - Linux
Fast Boot is off
Boot USB first is checked
Boot Network device s last is checked
Unlimited Boot to networks Attempts is unchecked
BIOS Setup Auto Entry unchecked

In Boot Devices section:
Internal UEFI Shell is Unchecked
USB checked,
Optical unchecked
Network boot disabled

Boot Display Config section:
Other config items not applicable so much - other ancillary config

Secure Boot section:
Secure Boot Unchecked

I also opted for no encryption of disk on install. May opt for it in a later install.

I will start reading more through install forums and stuff now (already been through it yesterday quite a bit, but I have an ear infection thats becoming more painful / on antibiotics and all of that, and might just lay down. So due to difficulty from the ear thing, I'm slowing down some.)

Would appreciate any solid advice in advance. Eventually I'll get it done correctly. Just wanted to see if someone knew straightaway what can be set etc etc to try and save me some time.

Thanks much.

Edit: FYI I tried this guide first: https://medium.com/@mattzab_49257/how-to-make-a-pop-os-persistent-live-usb-f96e776dccc and went through it exactly and for whatever reason it didnt work and I dont remember exactly why or what, but I since wiped the drives and started from scratch again and the last thing resulted in all that that I wrote above.

Last edited:

nkohler

Nov 10, 2019
will go through install again - iso on drive and drive to server as HD, and will try deleting the boot drive and see what happens. if it goes FUBAR will wipe and redo. Because the Bios needs to see a drive. In bios UEFi section, it needs to see a drive.

The GPT / MBR thing has me confused. Also because I want to get a grub selector thing on startup eventually instead of simply removing drive that i dont want. If I have to hash through figuring out a grub script I may just do that, asits a pain in the ... to me trying to figure it out.

Eventually this will be PopOs, Ubuntu Server, and I might add WIndows in there just fthoi on a SATA SSD after its purchased.

nkohler

Nov 10, 2019
Still more info: Originally what was installed to the NUC on a 32 gb Sandisk Cruzer, was a GUI - less Ubuntu server instance with a script that opens an html page which is the GUI for WireGuard, OpenVPNJ, IKE v2, and PPTP VPN clients. I found out the NUC can do 4k video using the Intel HD500 on board graphics so I thought, well, why not make it a complete GUI based thing where I can connect VPN on it without a vpn router, and if there's enough processing power... ideal situation being 1) streaming a 4k or 1080 rez video. (My TV doesnt even do 4k but a separate monitor Does) , and at same time downloading torrents.

Will want to see how PopOS does as far as a media center sort of thing. Kodi'd GUI was just so annoying to me through LibreElec, I said nah, no thanks. I'd rather have a 'standard' desktop GUI going and use it accordingly. Can just install Kodi In PoPOS then if I reallywant to, as there may be some addons that are workable through it and not via non-Kodi setup without even more breaking down of things. Yadayada that is all for now.

nkohler

Nov 10, 2019
Set boot partition to fat32, set swap (linux swap fs. Is that correct or should it be fat32 or ext4?). Set root and home to ext 4 and enabled format option. Then when extracting files, it get to 6% then it freezes. Power cycled, it then got to 9% then seems to have froze/locked up the machine.

Last thing in the install log:
INFO: starting extracting step
INFO: Extracting /cdrom/casper_pop-os_19.10_amd64_intel_debug_29/filesystem.squashfs
DEBUG "unsquashfs" "-f" "-d" "/tmp/distinst.5pjpKNVcsGjn" "/cdrom/casper_pop-os_19.10_amd64_intel_debug_29/filesystem.squashfsz"

Have to unplug it to do anything from there.

REstart and in bios Boot PRiority , UEFI Boot PRiority, see that UEFI is enabled and there are two boot drives:

UEFI: USB: SanDisk: PART 0: OS Bootloader
UEFI : Built-in EFI Shell

Clicked over to Advanced / Security Features and noticed an option for "Allow UEFI 3rd party driver loaded"
Flipped a coin and went ahead and enabled it, thinking this might magically help it lol. Even though I get no inkling that there is any 3rd party UEFI driver that needs to be loaded (again > ?)

Again back to the install sequence. Opted to NOT format...for some reason... It then again gets to 9% and freezes, which makes me wonder if just completing the process via one usb would be better. Dk why there would be difficulty extracting files fro mone usb to another, but if I install the iso , then partition the remainder of the drive in the install process via just the one drive when it asks, then after its installed, delete the partition with iso on it, and use gparted to join that space as a data drive or something. If can join it to Home partition then will do if can. This way its just all done via one usb drive. (Edit: This is not possible).

Bla. I think there is some better answer to this however. Idk why its freezing. Should probably just buy a proper SSD to install to. And install the 2 modules of 4gb of ram to the device to max it out to 8 gb. 1 TB HD would be nice but might just opt for 500 gb.

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The only partitions that should be FAT32 are the EFI and recovery if you make one. Linux-swap is ext4. Have you tried a default (non_custom) installation? That might give us a clue whether it is the current process and / or partitioning.

nkohler

Nov 10, 2019
The only partitions that should be FAT32 are the EFI and recovery if you make one. Linux-swap is ext4. Have you tried a default (non_custom) installation? That might give us a clue whether it is the current process and / or partitioning.
ok will set swap to ext 4 instead of linuxswap fs, set install to default mode and update.

nkohler

Nov 10, 2019
set as noted - 9fat32 for EFi and rest ext4, no swap, and got basically this:

INFO: starting extracting step
INFO: Extracting /cdrom/casper_pop-os_19.10_amd64_intel_debug_29/filesystem.squashfs
DEBUG "unsquashfs" "-f" "-d" "/tmp/distinst.5pjpKNVcsGjn" "/cdrom/casper_pop-os_19.10_amd64_intel_debug_29/filesystem.squashfsz"
ERROR: extracting error: archive extraction failed with status: signal 9

same deal when set to standard install

Maybe something to do with the hardware , but idk. Install like this is maybe not ideal. Install is going from one usb with iso on it through the Intel device to another USB 16gb.

Maybe I can try installing to usb from linux Mint or Windows then and then attach it to the NUC device and have it work like that instead.

Ive got Ubuntu server with XFCE working from another usb on target device.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I've been informed of the reasons for extraction error;

Something's wrong with the flash drive, or whatever it is writing to, if it freezes during extraction. It could also be an issue with having too little RAM. We recommend 4GB as a minimum.
So you're back to working out if it is the ISO, partitioning or the devices themselves. Most NUC have enough RAM, but worth checking also. I'll keep looking though.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I just noticed in your original post that UEFI was enabled, but the guide to make a persistent USB uses Grub, so you would need to enable Legacy.

nkohler

Nov 10, 2019
I just noticed in your original post that UEFI was enabled, but the guide to make a persistent USB uses Grub, so you would need to enable Legacy.
OK. I was about to purchase an 8gb stick of Crucial 1866 speed memory to max it out. Will set to legacy not UEFI. (I had since had it set to legacy and the same extraction / freezing occurs.) Will update here after hardware upgrade. Will install 500 gb ssd also. Thanks.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zadowsmash