• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Installation fail

JaegerW

Nov 5, 2020
Hi all,

I seem to be having a bumpy road when trying to install PopOS.
I originally posted this on the subreddit:
I'm trying to install the 20.04 LTS Nvidia version for a second time.
Everytime I try to install it sounds like my PC is ready for liftoff and freezes at the following image:
Freeze 1
When I put in the following parameters in the grub installation: pci=nocrs and pci=realloc, as suggested on the asus forums on a similar issue, https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57264-Linux-on-G20
I freeze here, with about to lift off as well:
Freeze 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have also added some screenshots of how I setup my BIOS, maybe this helps in your judgement. UEFI boot and Other OS seems to make no difference.

bios 1
bios 2

bios 3
bios 4

bios 5
bios 6

And some of my grub images, maybe I place them wrong?

grub 1
My pci=nocrs and pci=realloc are being placed behind the triple minus signs, e.a. ---
And lastly the install image I see install

Thank you in advance for all your help :)

Last edited:

JaegerW

Nov 5, 2020
So, I managed to get into the GUI, by using acpi=off noapic nolapic in the GNU settings by using Space + E when launching.
This got me into the installer, which ends at 85% with the following error log:

[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:108] running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.WnVKqZKtv88X" "kernelstub" "--esp-path" "/boot/efi" "--add-options" "quiet loglevel=0 systemd.show_status=false splash" "--loader" "--manage-only" "--force-update" "--verbose"
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Config : INFO Looking for configuration...
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub : INFO System information:
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98]
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] OS:..................Pop!_OS 20.04
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Root partition:....../dev/sdb3
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Root FS UUID:........73fda3dd-9d3c-453b-b5cb-608b4ee1d495
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] ESP Path:............/boot/efi
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] ESP Partition:......./dev/sdb1
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] ESP Partition #:.....1
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] NVRAM entry #:.......-1
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Boot Variable #:.....0000
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Kernel Boot Options:.quiet loglevel=0 systemd.show_status=false splash
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Kernel Image Path:.../boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-7620-generic
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Initrd Image Path:.../boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-7620-generic
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Force-overwrite:.....True
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Installer : INFO Copying Kernel into ESP
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Installer : INFO Copying initrd.img into ESP
[INFO distinst:src/installer/steps/configure/chroot_conf.rs:268] configuring keyboard layout
[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:108] running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.WnVKqZKtv88X" "localectl" "set-x11-keymap" "us" "" ""
[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:108] running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.WnVKqZKtv88X" "/usr/bin/env" "-i" "SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=_" "openvt" "--" "sh" "/etc/init.d/console-setup.sh" "reload"
[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:108] running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.WnVKqZKtv88X" "ln" "-s" "/etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz" "/etc/console-setup/cached.kmap.gz"
[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:108] running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.WnVKqZKtv88X" "update-initramfs" "-u"
[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-7620-generic
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Config : INFO Looking for configuration...
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub : INFO System information:
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] OS:..................Pop!_OS 20.04
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Root partition:....../dev/sdb3
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Root FS UUID:........73fda3dd-9d3c-453b-b5cb-608b4ee1d495
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] ESP Path:............/boot/efi
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] ESP Partition:......./dev/sdb1
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] ESP Partition #:.....1
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] NVRAM entry #:.......-1
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Boot Variable #:.....0000
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Kernel Boot Options:.quiet loglevel=0 systemd.show_status=false splash
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Kernel Image Path:.../boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-7620-generic
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Initrd Image Path:.../boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-7620-generic
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Force-overwrite:.....False
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Installer : INFO Copying Kernel into ESP
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Installer : INFO Copying initrd.img into ESP
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Installer : INFO Setting up loader.conf configuration
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Installer : INFO Making entry file for Pop!_OS
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Installer : INFO Backing up old kernel
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] kernelstub.Installer : INFO No old kernel found, skipping
[INFO distinst:src/installer/state.rs:33] starting configuring bootloader step
[INFO distinst:src/installer/steps/bootloader.rs:35] /dev/sdb: installing bootloader for Efi
[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:108] running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.WnVKqZKtv88X" "bootctl" "install" "--path=/boot/efi" "--no-variables"
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Created "/boot/efi/EFI/systemd".
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Created "/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT".
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:98] Created "/boot/efi/EFI/Linux".
[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:108] running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.WnVKqZKtv88X" "efibootmgr" "--create" "--disk" "/dev/sdb" "--part" "1" "--write-signature" "--label" "Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS" "--loader" "\\EFI\\systemd\\systemd-bootx64.efi"
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] configuring bootloader error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 5
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:300] errored while installing system: command failed with exit status: exit code: 5
[INFO distinst:ffi/src/installer.rs:188] Install error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 5

Anyone able to help me out?

Attachments

JaegerW

Nov 5, 2020
Alright, so apparantly Pop!_OS 20.04 did get installed on my SSD.
However, I am only unable to launch it by using the same commands, acpi=off noapic and nolapic when booting. If these parameters are not set, the system will not launch.
Next to that, the system has a weird lag when clicking somewhere, it takes about 2-3 seconds to register what I want to do. The same goes for alt-tabbing, etc. This seems to get better when the system is on for a few more minutes. I have to say, this did not happen on my first install.

EDIT: this is apparently due to my CPU spiking to 100%. In system monitor I can't seem to find my GPU performance anywhere.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

JaegerW

Nov 5, 2020
Well. I managed to complete the installation. I added the command lines acpi=off, noapic and nolapic to the kernel boot system, changed my installation from 20.04 tot 21.04, reinstalled, and voila. no more issues.

Thank you all for the help I guess? lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ducky