• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Solved Installation failing due to busy /var/log mount?

crisb

Jun 26, 2020
I'm trying to install pop on an external USB SSD attached to my Dell XPS 15. It's a test for a possible replacement of Ubuntu 20.04 currently installed on my main internal drive. I'm being cautious with a test because last year I audited a few distros and pop was the only one which failed to install, which didn't inspire confidence.

Anyway, I'm opting for the advanced install, with / (ext4) mounted to /dev/sda3, a boot fat32 partition at /dev/sda1, and no swap partition (I have 32GB of RAM and this is only a test installation so I can do without swap). The BIOS is set up for UEFI boot, with secure boot disabled.

The install fails with this error shown in installer.log:

Code:
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk_trait.rs:60] child_dev "/dev/sda4" has mount_opt None
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:305] unmount all partitions with a target on /dev/sda
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:325] marking /dev/sda3 to be unmounted, which is mounted at /var/log
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:325] marking /dev/sda3 to be unmounted, which is mounted at /var/crash
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:338] unmounting /var/log
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/steps/initialize.rs:113] unable to unmount partitions
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] initializing error: "/var/log": Device or resource busy (os error 16)
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:298] errored while installing system: "/var/log": Device or resource busy (os error 16)
[INFO distinst:ffi/src/installer.rs:188] Install error: "/var/log": Device or resource busy (os error 16)
I don't quite understand why /var/log and /var/crash are both mountpoints for /dev/sda3 during the install - certainly nothing I've done so presumably it's an installer thing.

crisb

Jun 26, 2020
I've fixed this but will leave it here in case anyone else hits a similar issue.

To diagnose I booted back into the installer and checked what it had mounted - I made a small error in my description above - the /var/log mount point was actually a different partition from the ones I had created for the test installation. It was an ext4 one labelled 'writable', on the usb ssd. It appears the installer had created this partition, mounted it under /var/log, and during the install was trying and failing to then unmount it. Weird behaviour.

I fixed this by re-booting the installer (which was on a different usb stick) without having the usb ssd plugged in (to stop the installer from doing its one weird mount trick). Once the installer was started, I plugged the ssd in and the install proceeded as planned.

Not sure whether or not the differences will be compelling enough to replace my main Ubuntu installation, but anyway I have Pop!_os available now to experiment with.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis_vasconcelos