• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Beginner Installation freez

Timothy

Jul 7, 2019
I found it but how do i get in pop os efi file to past it
/boot/efi is where Pop's EFI partition is mounted.
It just tells me "is a directory" i dont know how to acces it and past it. I am really new to the terminal so if there are stpes i need to follow i would gladly follow them

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
i dont know how to add the Windows boot to the list
I can see from the output you posted that Windows is not yet in the right place. Follow this carefully again;

Run disks. You'll see two EFI partitions, the Pop EFI partition and the one for Windows. The Pop one is already mounted, mount the Windows one as well. Take note of the name that is assigned to the Windows EFI, usually /dev/sda2, but confirm that because it might be nvme. Then open it both in files (or you can do the next step through terminal if you prefer: See below) you're gonna want to copy all of the contents from the windows efi partition (EFI/Microsoft) into Pop's (/boot/efi/EFI). In Terminal open an instance of Nautilus (Files) with root permissions by typing sudo nautilus. Locate the EFI/Microsoft folder, right click and select "copy to", then locate /boot/efi/EFI and choose that location by clicking "Select". That should be it!

So you need both EFIs mounted, and then copy (not move) the Windows EFI into Pop's.

If you're Ok with Terminal it's as follows and remember to substitute the name of the Windows EFI if it is different to /sda2

Code:
mkdir /mnt/tmp

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/tmp

cp -r /mnt/tmp/EFI/Microsoft /boot/efi/EFI
Then ensure Pop / Linux is the default kernel in /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf.

EDIT: I've edited the nautilus way of doing it. Sorry, I don't dual boot and I use terminal.

Last edited:

Timothy

Jul 7, 2019
I can see from the output you posted that Windows is not yet in the right place. Follow this carefully again;

Run disks. You'll see two EFI partitions, the Pop EFI partition and the one for Windows. The Pop one is already mounted, mount the Windows one as well. Take note of the name that is assigned to the Windows EFI, usually /dev/sda2, but confirm that because it might be nvme. Then open it both in files (or you can do the next step through terminal if you prefer: See below) you're gonna want to copy all of the contents from the windows efi partition (EFI/Microsoft) into Pop's (/boot/efi/EFI). In Terminal open an instance of Nautilus (Files) with root permissions by typing sudo nautilus. Locate the EFI/Microsoft folder. Now go back one level to that EFI folder, right click to "copy to", then locate /boot/efi/EFI and choose that location by clicking "Select". That should be it!

So you need both EFIs mounted, and then copy (not move) the Windows EFI into Pop's.

If you're Ok with Terminal it's as follows and remember to substitute the name of the Windows EFI if it is different to /sda2

Code:
mkdir /mnt/tmp

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/tmp

cp -r /mnt/tmp/EFI/Microsoft /boot/efi/EFI
Then ensure Pop / Linux is the default kernel in /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf.
Okay thank you i will give it a shot after work thanks

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I've edited the above post, but I'm also going to rewrite this as guide for beginners and link it to "Pop not installing... " thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg