• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Guide Advanced Installation guide Pop!_OS 20.04 with full disk encryption using btrfs-inside-luks (with optional RAID1), auto-apt-snapshots, easy system rollback

wmutschl

Apr 19, 2019
Hi,

even though everyone is hyped about ZFS support in Ubuntu, I still like btrfs as my filesystem and have outlined my installation steps and disaster recovery in three tutorials (both written and on Youtube):

Pop!_OS 20.04 btrfs-luks installation guide(including YouTube video)
How to install Pop!_OS 20.04 with the following structure:
  • an unencrypted EFI partition for the systemd boot manager
  • an unencrypted partition for the POP!_OS recovery system
  • a btrfs-LVM-inside-luks partition for the root filesystem
    • the btrfs logical volume contains a subvolume @ for /, a subvolume @home for /home, and another subvolume @swap for the swapfile. Note that the POP!_OS installer does not create subvolumes on btrfs besides the top-level one.
  • Timeshift is set up to automatically create snapshots of the system
Pop!_OS 20.04 btrfs-luks-RAID1 installation guide (including YouTube video)
How to install Pop!_OS 20.04 with the following structure:
  • a btrfs-LVM-inside-luks partition for the root filesystem on two hard disks in a RAID1 settings managed by btrfs
    • the btrfs logical volume contains a subvolume @ for / and a subvolume @home for /home. Note that the POP!_OS installer does not create subvolumes on btrfs besides the top-level one.
  • an encrypted swap partition
  • an unencrypted EFI partition for the systemd boot manager duplicated on both disks
  • an unencrypted partition for the POP!_OS recovery system duplicated on both disks
  • Timeshift is set up to automatically create snapshots of the system
  • I also show what to do if your RAID1 is broken
Pop!_OS 20.04 btrfs-luks disaster recovery and easy system rollback using timeshift and timeshift-autosnap-apt
I forked timeshift-autosnap from AUR: Timeshift-autosnap-apt. This script runs timeshift (both in btrfs and rsync mode) before a package upgrade using an apt hook. So it is very easy to go back in time with Timeshift (either directly inside the system if you can still boot or using the recovery system if you cannot boot into your system). I will make a tutorial and video on that soon and upgrade this post accordingly.

I hope this is useful :)

Last edited:

eljejer

Nov 12, 2020
Great tutorials indeed! Many thanks!
I am doing kind of a combination of tutorial 1 & 2 because I would like /home on a separate drive.
However, is this supposed to work with the 20.10 installer as well you think?
I ask, because I end up in a "Could not install" message. Saying: "Installing Pop!_OS 20.10 failed, possibly due to a hardware error". I have tried twice with the same result.
the installation logfile (grabbed from /tmp/installer.log) shows:

Code:
[ERROR distinst:ffi/src/disk.rs:677] decryption error: LUKS partition at '"/dev/nvme1n1p1"' was not found
The standard install goes just fine. But then I will not have /home on a separate drive.
I could of course do the standard install en re-configure this after install, but it would be nice of I would get this working using the tutorials.

I attach lsblk output and the installation log file

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nazar2sfive