• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Installing error on dual boot

luke

Jul 15, 2019
Hi,

I'm having problems to install Pop OS.
So far my theory is the following: It's because I'm using legacy mode (not uefi) and there are no GPT disk.
As far as I know, to have a GPT disk I need to reinstall my windows - which is not an option right now. So I only have one option: to keep the legacy boot system. But Pop OS refuses to work under such circumstances lol.

Any idea how to make it work?

I have the following partitions in my ssd:
1. 800mb NTFS boot
2. 200 gb NTFS windows
3. 1gb NTFS recovery (have no idea why windows created that)
4. 38gb EXT4.

So, what to do?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
If it isn't UEFI then Pop will utilize Grub and you need to make the partition MBR instead of GPT.

UEFI = GPT
Grub (Legacy) = MBR

Lets hope that gets you going.

luke

Jul 15, 2019
Hi derpOmattic. Thanks for your answer.
But the problem is deeper: for some reason, the installer of Pop OS will only work with MBR if it can format it to ext4 (and, then, put it in the /boot). This would delete the windows files that are in the MBR, destroying the system, aren't?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg