• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Interesting issue installing Pop

MJK

Jul 13, 2020
So I've been trying to get Pop to work as my primary system (I love it) but I've encountered an interesting issue when attempting to install the OS

Before we continue

1: Yes, I've checked my Bios (many times) and matched all of my settings to POP recommended settings

2: I've used Etcher, Rufus, and various other ISO tools to see if they were the cause of my issues -- the problem persists in the same exact manner for all

3: I've tried both versions of the Pop.iso download on the website in an attempt to resolve this issue, neither does

So when I install Pop (all standard settings), it never registers as installed after completion and restarting the system. The files are not there when I check with a different OS (mint in this case) though the boot files and file partitions do persist -- there's just nothing on them

I've tried this with both physical hardware as well as VirtualBox with the same results: Load the ISO, go through the installation steps, restart, no OS installed (on VirtualBox it will continually loop through the installation process as many times as I care to try it), though, again, the file partitions are present in both VirtualBox and physical hardware but are empty

There are no error pop-ups, or abnormal code lines in the terminal. The installation goes through as if everything is normal, the computer restarts, but nothing is installed on the partitions selected

Could just be that I'm doing something incorrect but I've followed pretty much every guide I can get my hands on via Pop's online forums as well as YouTube to check if I'm messing up a step somewhere but as far as I've seen there is not an explanation as to why the installation isn't completing or at the very least populating the partitions selected

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Some questions to try and establish a starting point.

Is your machine using UEFI or Legacy BIOS?
Do you have secure boot and fast boot disabled?
Are you trying to custom partition, or letting the installer do the work?
Did you verify the ISO download was good?

MJK

Jul 13, 2020
Some questions to try and establish a starting point.

Is your machine using UEFI or Legacy BIOS?
Do you have secure boot and fast boot disabled?
Are you trying to custom partition, or letting the installer do the work?
Did you verify the ISO download was good?
  • UEFI

• Yes, Yes
    1: Yes, I've checked my Bios (many times) and matched all of my settings to POP recommended settings
  • Tried both, same issue in both instances -- standard set-up for custom: 500MB boot, 4GB swap, rest of the drive for the main partition

• No, not sure how I'd do that other than installing it -- The ISO downloads are directly from the Pop OS site, downloaded multiple times on different days and both options available but the issue persists in all attempts

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I have one machine (out of seven) that stubbornly requires me to change the boot order in BIOS from the live USB to the installed Pop drive every time I re-install. Unless I manually do that, it never boots. Maybe you have one too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis_vasconcelos