• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Irispen Driver (OCR Scanner)

Azza_the_Hist

Aug 29, 2020
Good morning everyone!

I recently bought an Irispen, i.e. a scanner pen with OCR function. It's an extremely useful tool for my work (I'm an historian) and it greatly reduces working time. Well, the pen I'm talking about (Irispen Executive 7 - USB) is not recognized by Linux as there is no software or driver (that I know of). I also tried to run it through a virtual machine but I didn't get efficient results. Note that the driver is a proprietary, distributed only to buyers.

When using lsusb via terminal it gives the following informations:

andrea@pop-os:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1bcc:0018 Topscan ltd. Pen Scanner 2.0
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b3fd Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd HD WebCam (Asus N-series)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 145f:01bc Trust USB Gaming Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The Irispen is the device 006. I argue that it is recognised as a Pen Scanner but, when trying to check with Sane, it shows the following result, probably meaning that there is no driver compatibility with linux:

sudo sane-find-scanner
[sudo] password di andrea:

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0bda [Realtek], product=0x8153 [USB 10/100/1000 LAN]) at libusb:002:002
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

Do any of you have solutions in mind or do you have the will and time to try to help me? It would be very sad to have to keep also Windows just to use an OCR pen.

Thanks in advance!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
We can have a look around for you, but there's always the option of running Windows in a VM and assigning the USB to it. Either Virt Manager or Virtual Box will do it.

Azza_the_Hist

Aug 29, 2020
We can have a look around for you, but there's always the option of running Windows in a VM and assigning the USB to it. Either Virt Manager or Virtual Box will do it.
Thanks for the reply. If you need the installer to try or if you need me to try something just ask.

Thanks also for the suggestion of VB. I have already tried but it is really far from an efficient solution

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I did a little asking around, but it seems that the company doesn't support Linux. There's no driver and no software to go with it. Unless someone creates those for Linux, you'll have to use Windows for that device. Maybe you could bug the company to support Linux. It would be in their interest.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeinzBeur