• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Intermediate Solved Lagging a lot after setup upgradation

sauravkarmakar

Jun 3, 2020
Whenever I use multiple apps like Major Ones: Firefox (with 10 tabs), Terminal, Sublime Text, IntelliJ, Slack, I found some lag.

I recently got myself a monitor, Samsung LF24T350 (1080p 75Hz), and I have Asus ROG (1080p 120Hz). After that, I found my applications quite laggy while opening or running, especially Firefox and IntelliJ and why my Resolution is 3072x1728, 3840x2160?
I have my Linux running on Dual Boot on HDD partition.

What can be the issue? Can someone help me?

Laptop Specifications:
1620234706098.png

Processes:
1620234728213.png

Resources:
1620234862118.png

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
There is currently some NVIDIA bugs that are effecting Linux in general. What NVIDIA drivers are you using? You might benefit from purging them and reinstalling. Check which ones first, but it's done like this:

Code:
sudo apt purge ~nnvidia
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-<number>
Just thinking, that syntax might not work in Zsh. You may have to use '*nvidia*' instead of ~nnvidia, unless you switch to Bash, or escape it, like \~nnvidia.

Last edited:

sauravkarmakar

Jun 3, 2020
There is currently some NVIDIA bugs that are effecting Linux in general. What NVIDIA drivers are you using? You might benefit from purging them and reinstalling. Check which ones first, but it's done like this:

Code:
sudo apt purge ~nnvidia
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-<number>
Just thinking, that syntax might not work in Zsh. You may have to use '*nvidia*' instead of ~nnvidia, unless you switch to Bash, or escape it, like \~nnvidia.
Currently, I'm using NVIDIA Driver Version: 460.73.01. What would be the stable driver version then?

When I turned off the Fractional Scaling, it was quite a bit of improvement. But my monitor works good on 100% but my Laptop doesn't look good at 100%. It's too small, 125% is good. As it's connected to the monitor with a different refresh rate(75Hz). Is that causing an issue as well?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
There's a trick you can try on your laptop. Select 200% scaling, but then increase all the font sizes. Doing so kind of forces the titlebars to be a little bigger, which gives it a reasonably normal appearance and functions great.

sauravkarmakar

Jun 3, 2020
There's a trick you can try on your laptop. Select 200% scaling, but then increase all the font sizes. Doing so kind of forces the titlebars to be a little bigger, which gives it a reasonably normal appearance and functions great.
Increasing all the font size will also increase that on the external monitor as well?

If that won't affect, do I have do it from here?
1620308209785.png

sauravkarmakar

Jun 3, 2020
It is a decent work around if you have a single small screen or laptop, but it won't look good on your bigger monitor. You can try it though. It's easy enough to reverse if it isn't good.
It doesn't look good. It's too huge. I guess I have to keep Fractional Scaling off only when connected to Monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nazar2sfive