• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Laptop Refreshes?

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
My 2012 Mackbook Pro is getting a bit long in to tooth so I've been looking for a replacement and I don't think the 2020 MBP is going to do it for me (I like buttons). That means considering laptops like System76. Just the other day I noticed that the Galago Pro listing disappeared and the systems with 9th gen CPUs have gone out of stock, except that a few 16" Oryx Pro units came back in stock today at a $200 discount.

I'm just curious if anyone has any information on when the dust on the laptop lineup will settle? A refreshed Oryx Pro could be a good replacement option for me.

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
Well. Serval WS just came back in stock but with Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs. I haven't had time to look over the specs in detail to see what else has changed, but I am pleased to see them used an AMD CPU sooner than I was expecting based on what I had read.

Reactions: gadgetboy

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
The Oryx Pro update has just come out. The chassis is different which causes some differences such as ports moving to the back and the space that was used for 2.5" drives is now extra battery (11Wh more). The 17.3" screen remains the same, but the 16.1" screen option is down to 15.6". It uses Coreboot and a "10th generation" Intel 14nm i7-10875H. It has three type A USB ports and though it only has one type C, it does have Thunderbolt 3. Graphics options are the same. Base price remains $1699 and you do get WiFi-6 with that. Current promotional price is $1623.

There are a few other differences, but I think this captures the major points for most people. I am happy to see the 2.5" drive go away in favor of a larger battery. I don't care for the ports located on the back as my Dell work laptop is this way and I'm forever rotating the silly thing to find a free port and it looks ridiculous and is unwieldy with wires coming out all three sides at once. Not a deal killer, but a compromise to be sure.

It could be a good replacement for my MBP. Hopefully Jay over at LLTV can get a review copy soon.

• Useful
Reactions: derpOmattic

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loki