• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Happy New Year!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Linux on Apple: from a Pop point of view.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I thought it would be beneficial to start documenting experiences with installation of Pop on Macs. With the latest kernel upgrade, Linux on Mac has become much easier. So questions, guides or experiences - let us have it.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Let me start ;)
HW:
2017 MacBook Pro 14,1 (A1708)

SW:
Pop_OS 19.10 with Linux kernel 5.3.

Working:
* Display, full resolution. Retina worth a sin on it's own 🤩
* WiFi, with b43 firmware installer
* Keyboard, incl. Fn keys
* Touchpad, with some glitches, but really usable

Not working:
* Bluetooth. Tried external BT dongle - no luck
* Sound - speakers & jack. There are some attempts to fix it (e.g., https://github.com/davidjo/snd_hda_macbookpro/issues/6) , but it's just the beginning and requires kernel recompile with sources from davidjo's github project. Some say sound is working via HDMI, but I have no possibility to test this.

Not tested:
* External monitors

I think that the sound is the critical issue now. It is hard to use content without it working. Bounty for fixing it anyone 😉 ?

Last edited:

benji

Nov 17, 2019
Let me start ;)
HW:
2017 MacBook Pro 14,1 (A1708)

SW:
Pop_OS 19.10 with Linux kernel 5.3.

Working:
* Display, full resolution. Retina worth a sin on it's own 🤩
* WiFi, with b43 firmware installer
* Keyboard, incl. Fn keys
* Touchpad, with some glitches, but really usable

Not working:
* Bluetooth. Tried external BT dongle - no luck
* Sound - speakers & jack. There are some attempts to fix it (e.g., https://github.com/davidjo/snd_hda_macbookpro/issues/6) , but it's just the beginning and requires kernel recompile with sources from davidjo's github project. Some say sound is working via HDMI, but I have no possibility to test this.

Not tested:
* External monitors

I think that the sound is the critical issue now. It is hard to use content without it working. Bounty for fixing it anyone 😉 ?

That sounds like either the drivers or firmware related to the video card. Have you ever had any issues with the speaker while running the Mac OSX?

arturasb

May 3, 2019
That sounds like either the drivers or firmware related to the video card. Have you ever had any issues with the speaker while running the Mac OSX?
I didn't use this MacBook Pro with OSX, but previous user had no sound issues at all.
If I understood the situation correctly, Apple uses proprietary protocol & mapping over very standard I2C. Now those working with fix try to crack that mapping in order to get sound to speakers. The funny thinhg is that when I play , say, YouTube video and go to GNOME's sound settings I can see that sound "level indicator" is moving, but the sound isn't "wired" to speakers.

Last edited:

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Happy Holidays to everyone !

I have good news for linux on MBP 14,1 owners - sound is finally working on MacBook Pro 14,1 !
🎆🎉
With the help of leifliddy user from the GitHub we have working workaround - https://github.com/leifliddy/snd_hda_macbookpro. There you'll find instructions on how to apply the patch and compile required driver. Of course, this has to be submitted to linux kernel in a "normal way", but for linux savvy users this driver will greatly improve linux experience on post-2015 MBPs.

What's working:
  • Speakers
  • Headphones
  • Volume control for both speakers & headphones. Previously volume control wasn't working

For 12" MBPs sound driver go here - https://github.com/leifliddy/macbook12-audio-driver.

Perfect gift for the end of 2019 ;)

Regards
ArtūrasB.

Last edited:

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Because of lineage, would utilizing Ubuntu Mac support page be a starting point for documentation for us ?

(Lots of work done here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupportTeam/CommunityHelpPages )
I support your idea of having centralized knowledge base on specific matter, e.g., Ubuntu on Apple HW. I doubt if Ubuntu Wiki is the best place for this for several reasons:
  • Support of Apple's laptops is wider, not just Ubuntu's topic. I think this kind of knowledge should be at Linux kernel's wiki or similar.
  • MactelSupportTeams' wiki seams outdated. It's mostly about pre-2015 Apple laptops, where those machines were more similar to "normal" laptops, without Apple's tricks (or less of it), thus much easier to install and use.
I'm not saying that this forum is the ideal place to gather the knowledge, but at least it gets focus from users here. I believe, that Ubuntu community kind of lost interest to "exotic" HW from Apple, plus there are plenty of "normal" computers available out there, which is easier to "convert" to Linux machines.
My personal "mission" here is to upcycle my MBP I got from other person. I wouldn't buy a Apple laptop with the sole intention to install linux, because, e.g., Dell, HP laptops are easier to make linux-only computers. On the other hand, having MBP laying around (and lacking success in selling it ;) ), why not to try to use it with beloved OS :) ? Despite poor HW compatibility with current linux kernels, awesome FOSS community steps in and makes things work ;) And we just collect info on this, so others could also benefit from similar cases.

Last edited:

sean.patzer

Dec 27, 2019
I support your idea of having centralized knowledge base on specific matter, e.g., Ubuntu on Apple HW. I doubt if Ubuntu Wiki is the best place for this for several reasons:
  • Support of Aplle's laptops is wider, not just Ubuntu's topic. I think this kind of knowledge should be at Linux kernel's wiki or similar.
  • MactelSupportTeams' wiki seams outdated. It's mostly about pre-2015 Apple laptops, where those machines were more similar to "normal" laptops, without Apple's tricks (or less of it), thus much easier to install and use.
I'm not saying that this forum is the ideal place to gather the knowledge, but at least it gets focus from users here. I believe, that Ubuntu community kind of lost interest to "exotic" HW from Apple, plus there are plenty of "normal" computers available out there, which is easier to "convert" to Linux machines.
My personal "mission" here is to upcycle my MBP I got from other person. I wouldn't buy a Apple laptop with the sole intention to install linux, because, e.g., Dell, HP laptops are easier to make linux-only computers. On the other hand, having MBP laying around (and lacking success in selling it ;) ), why not to try to use it with beloved OS :) ? Despite poor HW compatibility with current linux kernels, awesome FOSS community steps in and makes things work ;) And we just collect info on this, so others could also benefit from similar cases.
I concur with somewhere between 85-90% of what you said. I am concerned that we maybe having a communications issue, so I will ask these questions :

1) I did say "starting" point, which does not infer that the Ubuntu Wiki is where I want to keep finished documentation. Was this misrepresented ?

2) I have one of the last 17 inch model MBPs, and a 15 inch from 2014/5 (I will have to check) which even though it boots Catalina, it is showing its vintage. I also want to see Linux installed on both systems with everything working as expected. (More of a reason, not a question.)

3) Because the Ubuntu wiki is older it has information on older models before the T1 and Touch ID was introduced (Granted) . I am getting a partial vibe of NIH syndrome. Am I misinterpreting what I am reading ? (Sometimes tone carries more context than we care to acknowledge.) I just don't want to see us re-invent the wheel because we need to invent it.

Currently I am using Lenovo 500s and a 580. The MBPs are both better machines. I would strongly prefer to be there, but as you indicated, the Lenovos were easier to install Linux on and have everything work as expected.

Sean.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Well, the purpose of my replay wasn't just oppose you like you stated/wrote something completely wrong, inaccurate or something. I wanted pour into the discussion slightly different point of view, so we all get better (more detailed, from different angle) big picture on "Linux on Apple's HW" topic. And specifically on support & knowledge/documentation topics ;)

Vinny

Jan 27, 2020
Hi guys,
MacBook Pro 2018, 6 Core i7 2,2Ghz, 32Gb Ram. I a while ago I was able to boot and install on to an external SSD but the touchpad, keyboard and eGPU weren't working.

I cant even boot into the installer now. It gets stuck at the point in the screenshot.

Any advice?

Attachments

Vinny

Jan 27, 2020
With etcher. I just tried CentOS and it failed to create the partitions. I might try a different disk.

Is there a way to create a persistent Live SSD where I can install drivers etc too?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liozek