• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Happy New Year!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Lots of install errors

lenerdo

Nov 13, 2019
So I heard of pop os.
I down loaded it and tried it on usb.
It worked!!!
I went to a client's shop and tested it on a laptop the wanted to upgrade from win 7
the boot USB worked! Even the wifi!
I brought the laptop home and did the full install.
The installed went and when it ended saying read log, the system wouldn't work.

"
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] extracting error: archive extraction failed with status: exit code: 1
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:282] errored while installing system: archive extraction failed with status: exit code: 1
[INFO distinst:ffi/src/installer.rs:188] Install error: archive extraction failed with status: exit code: 1

"

So blank hard drive, clean install of image on usb with verified checksum. Install process dies here.
then /boot not found, and it sends a grub menu with "try install"
Demo mode restarts. Installer option there.
I launch it , it spins and does nothing.
File structure was there.

used gparted to screw everything up.

installer will not launch. Only can get demo to autoboot.

Boot usb was made under some random usb maker.
read a bunch of the post in forums.
Now trying to do it with etcher.
First try. check sum errors. lots of errors. Huge errors. Best errors.

I've got a new thumb drive. Trying again.

EFI is on, no fast boot mode for this laptop

Any advice on how to move forward?

Last edited:

lenerdo

Nov 13, 2019
Hi Lenerdo, Some may think it is overkill, but I normally prepare and format my drive with a live USB of Gparted. Besides that, it sounds like you're on the right track. You could always check your progress or any errors from this list. https://pop-planet.info/forums/threads/pop-_os-not-installing-check-this-first.254/

[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] extracting error: archive extraction failed with status: exit code: 1
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:282] errored while installing system: archive extraction failed with status: exit code: 1
[INFO distinst:ffi/src/installer.rs:188] Install error: archive extraction failed with status: exit code: 1

So blank hard drive, clean install of image on usb with verified checksum. Install process dies here.

lenerdo

Nov 13, 2019

I'm dead in the water with this.

lenerdo

Nov 13, 2019
Same hard drive. moved it to a quad core Dell. fast boot, EFI, same errors.

Can't find leads on reddit or here. It looks like such a great distro but I'm running out of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liozek