• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Solved Manually Installing Apps

Nepherim

Oct 28, 2019
Very few of the programs I've been trying to use are found in the PopShop. To this point though I muddled my way through, typically just using Snaps or occasionally using Edddy for downloaded .debs. Installing FreeFileSync though has me stumped. Here's what I did:
  1. Extracted the .tar.gz in the Downloads directory.
  2. Moved FreeFileSync/ to /opt/
  3. Open Files, and navivate to /opt, and run the executable. (TBH, most of the time I can't even work out how to navigate to /opt from Files, as the default opening location is /home).

What I can't work out is some way to add the executable to the launcher, so I can easily run it without opening Files, navigating to /opt/freefilesync and clicking the executable. Clearly I'm missing some basic knowledge here -- help is appreciated.

Last edited:

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
You'll have to create a .desktop file for it in the appropriate location. That said... if you have stuff that's not in a convenient PPA or repo, ask! I may add it to the Community Repo!

Nepherim

Oct 28, 2019
Okay, here's the desktop file:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=FreeFileSync
GenericName=Folder Comparison and Synchronization
Exec=/opt/FreeFleSync/FreeFileSync %F
Icon=/opt/FreeFleSync/Resources/FreeFileSync.png
NoDisplay=false
Terminal=false
Categories=Utilities;
StartupNotify=true
Moved that into /usr/share/applications/, changed permissions, group and owners. Still not showing in the Launcher.

Here's a few apps I recently couldn't find:
Code:
Sublime
Brave
Duplicati
Discord
Calibre
Assunder
Although none were particularly complex to install. FreeFileSync though is in a whole new category of irritating to install.

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Discord and Calibre are in the Pop repo, so you can use sudo apt install discord calibre. Having said, I've heard people say the Discord deb isn't so good and the Flatpak is better. Makes sense with System76 favoring Flatpak over snap. Flatpak is installable via apt also. sudo apt install flatpak gets you going, then just install programs with flatpak install <package>.

Nepherim

Oct 28, 2019
The calibre Book editor in the store is different to *the* calibre book manager -- didn't realize there were two: https://calibre-ebook.com/

Thanks for the flatpak tip.

Anyone able to help with getting FreeFileSync to show up in launcher?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Another alternative would be to launch it with a keyboard shortcut using the Exec. If you go to Settings > Devices > Keyboard Shortcuts and scroll to the bottom, you'll see a plus sign. Click it to add. I have a dozen or more of these to launch programs quickly.

Name = FreeFileSync
Command = /opt/FreeFleSync/FreeFileSync %F
combo = (whatever you want, but super + shift + F sounds good)

You may have to experiment a little with the command. If it works as is, then great, but you may have to leave off the %F. Whatever makes it launch from Terminal will complete the keyboard shortcut.

Nepherim

Oct 28, 2019
Useful info on the keyboard shortcuts, thanks. But this is something I run infrequently, so would prefer a launcher option.

Nepherim

Oct 28, 2019
Quick update here. I went ahead and created a keyboard shortcut as suggested by derp. It didn't work. Adding other shortcuts did work though. Turns out I had a typo in my original EXEC line:
Code:
Exec=/opt/FreeFleSync/FreeFileSync %F
See that missing "i" in there? Yeah, that was the cause of all the issues. So for future reference:
  1. Copy application files into /opt/APP_NAME/
  2. Create a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/ and TEST the command line you use n the Exec line...
  3. Set privs on the .desktop file to root as owner, with owner +rw, and group +r
  4. Revel in the new Launcher shortcut

Thanks for sticking with the suggestions!

Reactions: derpOmattic

Nepherim

Oct 28, 2019
Also for anyone trying to use FreeFileSync from cron:
  1. Do not run as root/su -- run from main user account
  2. You'll need to identify your DISPLAY (echo $DISPLAY), and use that in cron:
Code:
0 2 * * * export DISPLAY=:1; /PATH_TO_FFS/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync /PTH_TO_FFS_CONFIG/D-Drive.ffs_batch

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daksh777