• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Microsoft Office Suite with Linux

benji

Nov 17, 2019
Hi everyone on Pop Community,

I am wondering if anyone can assist. I have been trying very hard to run our business with Pop_OS on our systems. Everything works well except the office suite.

I simply cannot adapt to Libre Office and I prefer to avoid the cloud based google docs.

We are looking to setup MS office through Crossover, I have a full copy of MS Office 2019 from Microsoft but I need help using cross over or play on linux.

Alternativly I tried to install apache open office and have no luck there either, does anyone know how to install that.

Thanks everyone.

regards

Benji

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Benji, Here is a recent comparison of available office suites for Linux. Maybe there's something you will be able to utilize. As far as open-sourced locally installed office clients for Linux go, you can't get much better than LibreOffice. OpenOffice and LibreOffice share a common origin. When Oracle decided to discontinue work on OpenOffice, The Document Foundation forked the project and named it LibreOffice. LibreOffice has replace OpenOffice as the default in most Linux distributions and can be used with cloud services like Collabora.

MikeStutzzzz

Mar 10, 2019
if you are an Office 365 Customer with Sharepoint you could just use the Web Version of Office. I think you can even use it if not. If you use Skype for Business they recently released Teams for Linux which has a native Application. (although the non official one currently works better)

benji

Nov 17, 2019
Benji, Here is a recent comparison of available office suites for Linux. Maybe there's something you will be able to utilize. As far as open-sourced locally installed office clients for Linux go, you can't get much better than LibreOffice. OpenOffice and LibreOffice share a common origin. When Oracle decided to discontinue work on OpenOffice, The Document Foundation forked the project and named it LibreOffice. LibreOffice has replace OpenOffice as the default in most Linux distributions and can be used with cloud services like Collabora.
Hi @derpOmattic, great to hear your insights, indeed you are correct, I have not found a substitute with more functions and capability than libreoffice. Its just a big learning curve and a "bit" of a downgrade in some respects, but then I think of the massive plus. I am our business many hundreds of dollars and supporting FOSS. I will be mentioning to the linux commitee in victoria to push for a microsoft office suite for linux but i think deep down that will never happen. Perhaps this is an area for the alphabet group (google), as a lot of their android software is interated to linux systems in many ways.

I guess the main reason i miss MS office is the large range of capability to make creative documents, also librecalc is quite a challenge for our accounting and maths modelling as it is very unfamiliar. I am not sure if librecalc can even do what i need it to do like MS Office could do.

benji

Nov 17, 2019
if you are an Office 365 Customer with Sharepoint you could just use the Web Version of Office. I think you can even use it if not. If you use Skype for Business they recently released Teams for Linux which has a native Application. (although the non official one currently works better)
I have Office 2019 but It wont run on my pop os systems, either with crossover, play on linux and wine. the MS Code just wasnt designed for linux which is good in a way but obviously not so good for me as i want to design complicated spreadsheets easily like i used to in excel and colourful documents in ms word. This is the only thing I am struggling with after adapting linux from 15 years of Microsoft.

Everything else on pop os is brilliant to say the least

naow-dev

Jan 12, 2020
Bauru/SP
Hi.
I have this problem too.
I used Excel for Data Science, Macros, VBA and the Online Documents don't work.
My friend use Office with Wine, but office 2007.
Libreoffice is the most similar to Office.
Do you try WPS Office?

benji

Nov 17, 2019
Hi.
I have this problem too.
I used Excel for Data Science, Macros, VBA and the Online Documents don't work.
My friend use Office with Wine, but office 2007.
Libreoffice is the most similar to Office.
Do you try WPS Office?
Hi, No i didnt try WPS office,
Whats that?

I wanted to try Apache open office but couldnt get it to install, its a .gz file

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Everyone is free to do as they wish, but I would be concerned about the Kingsoft Corporation's implementation of web Beacons. Their privacy policy in general would prevent me from using it, but that sort of thing doesn't seem to matter to most. I feel conflicted about calling this out, but I'm really tired of large corporations taking advantage of people. looks great otherwise.

• Useful
Reactions: gadgetboy

gedster314

May 17, 2020
over here #syncnyridepodcast
I just installed the Crossover trial. I have a 365 Family Subscription. Seems to work. It is a little slow but I'm using a 4gb Haswell I5 machine. The Onedrive and OneNote apps have issues for me, the rest do ok. You have to make sure to search for Office365 in the Crossover App and that the Crossover app updates the recipes before starting the Office365 install. I had two failed attempts and on the third attempt I saw the request to update the recipes across the top, must have missed that before. After the update Office365 installed, took an hour. Had 365 activating issues, activated in Word but Excel was not activated. Shut down the bottle and restarted, activation for the other 365 apps was fine.

To download the 365 install app from the 365 site I had to use a browser user-agent changer extension to fool the site that I was a Windows PC. If you have a Windows PC use that to get the install file. I'm a light Excel user, can't vouch if the advanced stuff works.

Cthulhu7747

May 17, 2020
I'm personally using SoftMaker Office; it's the one I've found to be most compatible with MS Office. Right now, they're offering a "student" edition for free for six months.

gadgetboy

Apr 2, 2020
Austin, TX
gadgetboy.org
So far, I've found LibreOffice to be stellar. Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not as insurmountable as you might believe. (For example, I was completely frustrated with Impress until I discovered the inspector pop-out on the right side. Very happy since then.)

My only complaint is that I can't use it to edit "live" office documents on OneDrive - I have to use the web version of Office to do that.

With all that said, Office 365 running under Crossover has received high marks - and there's a free trial, so you can test it before you decide to buy any licenses.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonzenith