• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Missing "Recovery" option on boot menu

oneeach

May 2, 2019
Thanks for all the help recently, I'm slowing figuring things out!

I've somehow removed the option for PopOs Recovery partition on my boot menu when holding down ESC + ALT on my DarterPro.

i've tried to create it using 'efibootmgr' with the following command:

sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 2 -w -L 'Pop_Os Recovery'

This will add the option to my boot list:

BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0002,0004,2001,2002,2003
Boot0002* Pop!_OS 19.04
Boot0004* Windows Boot Manager
Boot2001* EFI USB Device
Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
Boot2003* EFI Network
Boot0000* Pop_Os Recovery

Then, i'll fix my boot order with the following:

sudo efibootmgr -o 0002,0000,0004,2001,2002,2003

My problem is when I reboot, the Recovery entry seems to be missing again. I cannot see it in the boot menu and when Pop Os reboots, it's no longer displayed within my efibootmgr listing.

Am I missing something to commit these changes I've made?

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The recovery partition is defined as a systemd-boot loader entry, rather than an EFI boot entry. You can find all systemd-boot loader entries stored in /boot/efi/loader/entries/.

oneeach

May 2, 2019
thank you, I can see my entries and I obviously have my recovery entry missing. Any idea on how I can restore it?

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The entry created by the installer looks like so

title Pop!_OS Recovery linux /EFI/Recovery-0BE5-B90E/vmlinuz.efi initrd /EFI/Recovery-0BE5-B90E/initrd.gz options quiet loglevel=0 systemd.show_status=false splash boot=casper hostname=recovery userfullname=Recovery username=recovery live-media-path=/casper-0BE5-B90E noprompt

It's important that the entry is named as `Recovery-${FAT_UUID}.conf`.

oneeach

May 2, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I've added that conf file to my entries folder and now I do see the Recovery option when booting. however, when I select it, it boots be up into my regular desktop configuration and not a recovery looking partition. Should the entry have "/boot/efi/" before the file paths?

EDIT: actually, it doesn't boot into my regular desktop, it just halts and reboots and then default boots into my regular desktop. I don't think those efi files exist for me anymore. Any idea how I can restore them?

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
You cannot restore the recovery partition without reinstalling

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads