• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Missing Windows 10 option in GRUB menu after reinstall Pop OS

MadLordD

Jul 26, 2020
Hi all,

I just recently made a move from Windows to Linux-Ubuntu (around a month) then I decided to switch to Pop OS yesterday due to too many bugs and dependencies issues to fix. I have high expectation for this distro and hope it won't upset me like the previous one.

At the first Pop OS installation (installed on /dev/sda5), I manage to get the Windows 10 (on /dev/sda2) option shown in the GRUB menu during boot. For some reasons, I have to reinstall Pop OS again. But this time, when I run $ sudo update-grub after using similar codes to edit my '/etc/default/grub' and '/etc/grub.d/40_custom' it shows the following error.

Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-7634-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-7634-generic
error: syntax error.
error: Incorrect command.
error: syntax error.
Syntax error at line 231
Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.
Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub
and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.

I've tried to repair it using 'boot-repair' and it still shows the same error.

Then I tried running TestDisk and it shows no problem with my Windows 10 boot sector.

Please help me on this matter as I feels like I'm reaching a dead end here.

Btw, this is my first post ever in any forums on the net. I usually found answers or solutions for any issues I encountered before by googling it but seems like not this time. I've attached my grub.cfg.new file here too.

And thanks a lot in advance for replying to my post!

Attachments

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
If your machine is capable of booting in UEFI, System76 recommend installing Windows alongside Pop. Although GRUB is in Pop for those people who have old hardware which is incapable of booting UEFI, they don't support it. They left GRUB behind years ago.

Having said, let's look at what you have. In a Terminal run;
[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Installed in UEFI mode" || echo "Installed in Legacy mode"

Additionally, if you want help with the log, please use the pastebin and post the link back here.

Also, I remember this helping someone. Maybe it's what you need for GRUB.

MadLordD

Jul 26, 2020
Since my disk is in MBR, thus my system is installed in Legacy Mode.

Here is the pastebin link. /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new

I've tried the $ sudo os-prober but it returns:

sudo: os-prober: command not found

MadLordD

Jul 26, 2020
Just to update here, I manage to fix it. The root cause lies within my '/etc/grub.d/40_custom' file.

My previous syntax was:

Bash:
menuentry "Windows 10" --class windows --class os {
   insmod ntfs
   search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid <Win10 partition UUID>
   ntldr /bootmgr
}
which I got from here. It works like a charm at the first installation but it didn't for the second and third time I reinstall Pop OS. No idea why.

Then I found alternative syntax from here and now it works! Problem solved.
Bash:
menuentry "Windows 10" {
     insmod ntfs
     insmod ntldr
     insmod part_msdos
     insmod search_fs_uuid
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root <Win10 partition UUID>
     ntldr /bootmgr
}

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Huh, interesting. I haven't used GRUB for years, so I'm not up on it. Thanks for posting the fix so others can see if they run into it.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alur222