• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Moving from Windows 10 to POP! OS: Installation Error Code 5

cryovaced

Sep 24, 2020
Hi,
Due to slowing down of my HP Elite X2 1012 G1 tablet by updating of windows 10, I decided to just get done with it and get POP! OS on it.

Now, that the 20.04 LTS image boots just fine (UEFI, Secure Boot disabled and created by Rufus), I keep getting installation failed at 70% mark with Error Code 5.

The verbose log is as below:

Code:
WARN: kernelstub.Installer : INFO     Copying Kernel into ESP
WARN: kernelstub.Installer : INFO     Copying initrd.img into ESP
WARN: kernelstub.Installer : INFO     Setting up loader.conf configuration
WARN: kernelstub.Installer : INFO     Making entry file for Pop!_OS
WARN: kernelstub.Installer : INFO     Backing up old kernel
WARN: kernelstub.Installer : INFO     No old kernel found, skipping
INFO: starting configuring bootloader step
INFO: /dev/sda: installing bootloader for Efi
INFO: running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.xk1O0YOO1HiA" "bootctl" "install" "--path=/boot/efi" "--no-variables"
WARN: Created "/boot/efi/EFI/systemd".
WARN: Created "/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT".
WARN: Created "/boot/efi/EFI/Linux".
WARN: Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/boot/efi/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi".
WARN: Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI".
WARN: Created "/boot/efi/4b19a102c03bb86b6a2d14695f6caf40".
WARN: Random seed file /boot/efi/loader/random-seed successfully written (512 bytes).
INFO: running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.xk1O0YOO1HiA" "efibootmgr" "--create" "--disk" "/dev/sda" "--part" "1" "--write-signature" "--label" "Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS" "--loader" "\\EFI\\systemd\\systemd-bootx64.efi"
ERROR: configuring bootloader error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 5
ERROR: errored while installing system: command failed with exit status: exit code: 5
INFO: Install error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 5
And if I restart, I get no boot device error, so its definitely problem with setting up boot partition to my little knowledge of how linux installations work.

I tried looking at reddit for this issue but no help, similar was the case with ubuntu forums. Is there any solution or should I fall back to windows 10? Pretty much hopeless at this point since I chose the Clean install and my windows system is wiped.

Thanks for reading through or my utmost gratitude if I find a solution here

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebgucciardi