• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Nautilus aka "FIles" is recognizing files (txt , jpg etc.) as folders over active directory domain shares

alexpriftis85

May 13, 2020
Hello everyone! Newbie here! I've been using Pop Os for a week and i'm loving it so far.

I want to use it for office work and i've joined the active directory domain by activating the SMB1 protocol (We have an old server).
I'm able to browse the network shares but the files are recognized as folders as shown in the picture attached.
Screenshot from 2020-05-13 12-21-38.png

What do i need to fix this?

justXuX

Pop!_Droid
Trusted User
Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
I looked through internet and found potential fixes that could work, but I read one post that said it was fixed in latest release of samba 4.12.6 or something, in the official repos samba is version 4.11.something. Try to see if it fixes your problem using the posts I found if not, try a Windows machine in a VM to temporarily access the samba server if none above fixes will help. This issue could be brought up and ask the devs of Pop_Os to include newer samba packages through Pop_Os PPA.
Links : https://superuser.com/questions/1543195/samba-server-wrongly-treated-some-files-as-folders
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/samba-not-working-properly-with-latest-update-01-04-2020/133125/40
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/samba-share-files-showing-as-folders-mp4-mkv/135143/6

alexpriftis85

May 13, 2020
I looked through internet and found potential fixes that could work, but I read one post that said it was fixed in latest release of samba 4.12.6 or something, in the official repos samba is version 4.11.something. Try to see if it fixes your problem using the posts I found if not, try a Windows machine in a VM to temporarily access the samba server if none above fixes will help. This issue could be brought up and ask the devs of Pop_Os to include newer samba packages through Pop_Os PPA.
Links : https://superuser.com/questions/1543195/samba-server-wrongly-treated-some-files-as-folders
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/samba-not-working-properly-with-latest-update-01-04-2020/133125/40
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/samba-share-files-showing-as-folders-mp4-mkv/135143/6
Thank you fo your reply!

I managed to build and do a "sudo make install" on samba 4.12.2 which is the latest from their site.
But still the samba version showing was the 4.11.6
So i purged samba & smbclient completely and did everything again. While samba version and smbd are showing up as 4.12.2 the smbstatus command shows me the 4.11.6 version and i don't understand why:

smbversion.png

I also tried to edit /etc/fstab file and added:
//16.0.2.100/data /mnt/local_share cifs username=<user>,password=<password>,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

saved it and then tried mount -a

got an error:
mount error(2): No such file or directory

- I tried to mount the network drive from the terminal without fstab:
sudo mount //16.0.2.100 /mnt/local_share
asks for password: Password for root@//16.0.2.100 and it fails with the same error
- I tried to mount again with smb://
sudo mount smb://16.0.2.100 /mnt/local_share
got an error:
mount.nfs: Connection timed out

I'm very very confused about this. Is it so hard to have a simple windows share on linux? I've been at this for 8+ hours and i can't do it.

Last edited:

justXuX

Pop!_Droid
Trusted User
Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
I'm very very confused about this. Is it so hard to have a simple windows share on linux? I've been at this for 8+ hours and i can't do it.
It could get frustrating sometimes, as with everything else in life, but I found one last thing that could potentially help you, because it helped another one in the same situation. I don't have or use samba, so i can't help you any further than that. Would be good to read comments from that post too.
Link:

alexpriftis85

May 13, 2020
It could get frustrating sometimes, as with everything else in life, but I found one last thing that could potentially help you, because it helped another one in the same situation. I don't have or use samba, so i can't help you any further than that. Would be good to read comments from that post too.
Link:
Thanks you so much for your time. Unfortunatelly for now i gave up on linux and erased my drive.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and using the command line as it helps learn how things work in depth.
But unfortunately i cant work like this.

Today i added a network printer and found out that in order to add it you need to maually add the user to a certain group. And on top of that the printer driver that i had to build from source once again for some uknown reason it would only print in grayscale or the printer would restart giving an internal error whenever i tried to print, while on windows machines everything worked perfectly. That really pissed me off because in the end linux makes your life harder than it has to be.

Too many problems and too much manual labor to get just basic things working like a simple network share and a network printer even if its in an older protocol like SMB1. Many companies in greece still use that protocol because of old NAS & Servers.

After that i stopped wasting my time and rolled back to a windows backup i had and.. well.. end of story.

Maybe i'll try out linux again in a year or two. Because my personal opinion is that the operating system should be helping you in your work not making your life harder.

Linux is great..but not quite there yet.

Maybe its the companies fault not linux's, proprietary drivers and stuff. For a personal computer, sure its great! But for work and working alongside windows machine it sucks. Too bad.

Anyway thanks again!

Last edited:

justXuX

Pop!_Droid
Trusted User
Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
Thanks you so much for your time. Unfortunatelly for now i gave up on linux and erased my drive.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and using the command line as it helps learn how things work in depth.

Today i added a network printer and found out that in order to add it you need to maually add the user to a certain group. And on top of that the printer driver that i had to build from source once again for some uknown reason it would only print in grayscale or the printer would restart giving an internal error whenever i tried to print, while on windows machines everything worked perfectly. That really pissed me off because in the end linux makes your life harder than it has to be.

Too many problems and too much manual labor to get just basic things working like a simple network share and a network printer even if its in an older protocol like SMB1. Many companies in greece still use that protocol because of old NAS & Servers.

After that i stopped wasting my time and rolled back to a windows backup i had and.. well.. end of story.

Maybe i'll try out linux again in a year or two. Because my personal opinion is that the operating system should be helping you in your work not making your life harder.

Maybe its the companies fault not linux's, proprietary drivers and stuff. For a personal computer, sure its great! But for work and working alongside windows machine it sucks. Too bad.

Anyway thanks again!
No offense, use whatever works for you.
As a side note, If you have system components level programs (like samba, printers, or enterprise grade software), it would be best to stick with LTS releases and not jump on other LTS releases until after 6 months of initial release. Do a Clonezilla backup of the system, then install from scratch new LTS and check if everything is working as it should, if not, roll back old LTS and keep using it, Ubuntu especially has 5 years of support (+5 years if you pay for it).
Linux tries to not be Windows or Mac, sometimes it tries too hard :) .
Also Big Corporations don't pour so much money on the Linux Desktop as in servers and Cloud,etc.
Also people use Linux for different purposes that's why it's so popular in the first place.
The ones of the biggest problems in Desktop Linux is lack of good resource management (too much of everything with a small group of people, compared to desired goals), QA/QC (cause not enough money dough), ever-changing Desktop Target Platform (a nightmare for ISVs and why LTS is so popular), no central App Store, something like that.
It has advantages also, but on the Desktop they are not so important compared to servers, enterprise and Cloud.

sc05

May 13, 2020

Anyway thanks again!
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, i'm genuinely curious, what type of printer are you using that you're compiling drivers from source? Especially on an Ubuntu base.

Man, I get it; Please believe me! it can be frustrating. The only thing I can say is I did the same thing you did. Many years ago I said "screw this, these people are nuts, I'm out!". But a year later I ran back to Linux and now i'm fully invested. Windows isn't dead to me, I just don't use it here. I've found that once I let go of my Windows ways, Linux started working much better for me.

That was my personal observation about my personal situation. I still get to the point with Linux and a piece of code or something where i'm like "I just want 5 minutes alone with the clown who wrote this s^&*, FIVE MINUTES!!!!!"; but honestly even through those times it's better than a forced reboot. Plus I say the exact same thing when I'm using Windows so.......

You'll be back :)

alexpriftis85

May 13, 2020
Hello! Thank you for your interest. My company uses an old develop 454e (konica minolta) and their website gave me a source code link which i had to build for some reason. The problem with smb 1 is understandable because its very old and insecure but man i could never fix it.

An yes you are right i'm back at it again on a virtual machine this time. Everything works great because of the sharing between the host and vm.

If i can figure out how ro work gimp like Photoshop and da vinci resolve like premiere and if I manage to get evolution-ews working with our exchange office 365 i'm Never going back to windows.

Of course the smb shares and printer won't work if i boot normally, unless i install an older version of the os. But for now im using it as a daily driver through vm.

Once i have all the problems solved there's no going back. I absolutely hate windows and i'm fascinated by linux. But if I want to be realistic must have everything working properly before i make the full switch!!

Reactions: gadgetboy

sc05

May 13, 2020
Konica Minolta.... I had flash backs to my helpdesk days when I read that. They were awesome when they worked but...... I'm sure you know. lol! And the price tag; every time I had to call onsite support I told the guy next to me "Yo! We're in the wrong business, man!" lol. I'm going back to the Bizhub days, i'm assuming Bizhub is no longer a thing.... Don't know anything about the more current.

A VM is a great place to start. Honestly, i think it would be irrational to expect anyone to switch their operating system without first solving basic problems, like printing and file sharing.

While you're on your journey, may I offer you some advice? I don't know where you're coming from but don't forget to try other distros. If the driver for a particular hardware is not in Linux then, that is what is it. But if there is Linux support, I sometimes find that I have different experiences in different distros. For example, i'm on a 7th gen Lenovo x1 carbon right now; This machine performs noticeably better running Manjaro KDE than Popos. Performance is still great, but Manjaro was better. I like the "eco system" POPos is going for... if that's the right word. Point is, no distro will be perfect but there maybe a different one that brings you closer to your goal as a starting point.

alexpriftis85

May 13, 2020
Konica Minolta.... I had flash backs to my helpdesk days when I read that. They were awesome when they worked but...... I'm sure you know. lol! And the price tag; every time I had to call onsite support I told the guy next to me "Yo! We're in the wrong business, man!" lol. I'm going back to the Bizhub days, i'm assuming Bizhub is no longer a thing.... Don't know anything about the more current.

A VM is a great place to start. Honestly, i think it would be irrational to expect anyone to switch their operating system without first solving basic problems, like printing and file sharing.

While you're on your journey, may I offer you some advice? I don't know where you're coming from but don't forget to try other distros. If the driver for a particular hardware is not in Linux then, that is what is it. But if there is Linux support, I sometimes find that I have different experiences in different distros. For example, i'm on a 7th gen Lenovo x1 carbon right now; This machine performs noticeably better running Manjaro KDE than Popos. Performance is still great, but Manjaro was better. I like the "eco system" POPos is going for... if that's the right word. Point is, no distro will be perfect but there maybe a different one that brings you closer to your goal as a starting point.
I came to the same conclusion as you when i tried mint 19. But still there are many distros to choose from imean A LOT. I have pop os and linux mint 19 on vm's and try to work both of them so far mint is better for my needs but still there are a lot of stuff to resolve.

1st of all i need to adapt to gimp its very crucial,
2ndly i need to fix file sharing which from a live usb boot from mint 19 seems to work ok

After that it's just details and get used to the linux philosophy in general. I've been a power user for so long in windows that when a problem occurs on linux i have to google everything hahah. And the problem there is that because of the fragmentation and the differences between distros, its realy hard to get the solution you seek for your particular problem. Its a lot of work most of the times. But i think in time i'll have enough experience to solve everything and maybe recommend linux to others.

For a simple user that just needs mail, word, netflix etc. Linux is amazing and fast, nothing like windows. When someone tells me his/her machine is suddenly running slow after an update i always recommend linux. (For the everyday user always). For others that need video editing, adobe suite etc unfortunately you still have to stick with Windows. And many offices run old windows 2003 servers with bizhub printers and ancient nas drives so i cant recommend it (yet) 😁😁

gadgetboy

Apr 2, 2020
Austin, TX
gadgetboy.org
If i can figure out how ro work gimp like Photoshop and da vinci resolve like premiere and if I manage to get evolution-ews working with our exchange office 365 i'm Never going back to windows.
I had similar concerns coming from the Mac. Solving for this is really just about forcing yourself to be uncomfortable for a while.

Don't expect your workflows to be exactly the same and, most importantly, don't jump into a project that requires a quick turnaround or something you've never done before - go for something small where you have some time to experiment.

Heck - I was even frustrated with LibreOffice for awhile for that very reason: I thought I could just jump in to Impress and it would be just like PowerPoint or Keynote. For the most part, it is, but some functions that I regularly use weren't where I expected them to live. Once I found those, I was a happy camper.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Umar