• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

New Pop!_OS icons.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
From the Mattermost live chat, @isantop has extended an invitation to test the new pop icon theme due to be released with 19.04. You'll need to log in to get the .deb and instructions.

Part of the instructions are to share results, bugs or opinions to Github, but if you don't have a Github account just discuss your test here.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
First up, the package installed and was instantly ready for use. My first impression was the new icons looked sharper in general. They appear to have cleaner edges and are brighter. Opening apps didn't reveal any obvious problems as they behaved correctly.

My two cents worth;

The application icons that I feel have improved to a large degree include;
  • Files - I love this one and gets "most improved".
  • LibreOffice - all four look great.
  • Text Editor - Cleaned up but still in keeping with the aesthetic.
  • Eddy - That needed to happen. Also the .deb files icon is much better than before.
  • Image Viewer - Very nice and I like how it matches the image files icons.
  • System Monitor - This is the anomaly as I think in this instance, the generic one fits better.
The application icons that I feel didn't hit the spot or feel out-of-theme;
  • Settings - I used this in Fedora and didn't like it there either. The generic spanner and screwdriver just doesn't suit the theme at all.
  • Screenshot - Not a fan. Maybe some color or highlight might help, but as is, I'm leaning toward the current one as the better choice.
  • Geary - On the fence maybe. I think the current one is in better keeping with the Pop icon look.
  • GNOME Tweaks - I like the current pop one far better than the generic one.
As mentioned earlier, most of the new icons look a little better and I'm excited for the most part. At this point I'd like to bring attention to what I feel are the Pop styled app icons that I really liked after coming over from Fedora;
  • Pop Shop - Although I don't use it, I love it! Much better than the generic "Software' icon.
  • Power Stats - the current one suits Pop much better.
  • Startup Applications - the current Pop icon rocks!
  • Settings - PLEASE keep the current one!
  • GNOME Tweaks - mentioned above.
I like that Fonts has it's own icon now instead of sharing with Character Map. The generic icon is fine in this instance and suits nicely.
Opening Nautilus, the icons for mounted volumes look nice and when I open Disks, I now see there is actually a USB icon for mounted flash drives.
A really big improvement is file icons actually look like paper with a dogear now, instead of looking like there's a piece missing in the top right corner. In fact the icons for most file types look largely improved, especially image files and .debs.

The things I'm not so keen on;
  • Opening Files (Nautilus) main directory folder icons, eg: Home, Documents, Downloads, etc - The new set are OK and they look crisp, but I'm leaning toward the current set for the pop aesthetic. I like the little grey accent on the current set also. Maybe a hybrid of the two would make them Pop a little more. I'm not sure but maybe I'm not digging the white symbols in the bottom right corners.
  • Navigating to Other locations> Computer, I don't mind the new directory folder icon in there though.
All in all a success and good improvements, but I'd hate to lose some of the more unique Pop styled icons.

Last edited:

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I think for the best effect, you'd need to also install the new GNOME icon theme, which has new icons inbound for GNOME 3.32.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
OK, thanks. From what I can find about the new GNOME icon set, I think I'm going to totally love some and hate most. I'll look into it further.

isantop

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 20, 2018
I'd be interested to see screenshots of the icons you liked/didn't like. Since the new theme doesn't match 100% of the old one, that would be really helpful in knowing what you did/didn't like.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Ok, I'll work on that. Watch this space.

isantop

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 20, 2018
You are correct that the new icons are sharper in the new theme. Ironically, this is because the icons have moved from a single SVG icon to a set of pre-rendered PNG icons (basically the exact opposite of what GNOME is doing). This means that every icon is precisely the correct size, and is perfectly aligned to the pixel grid.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I'm going to document this as quickly as I can but within the limits of spare time. I will be making a lot of short posts with a couple of icons and commenting as above. It might be for the best otherwise it would be one long-ass post.

The Files app (Nautilus) icon looks much nicer in the new set (left). The Filing cabinet drawer is more defined, the handle also (and placed more realistically), and the thin dark line that separates the drawer from the file really makes it all pop.

PreferredNot-so-hot

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Continuing with the Home folder Icons, I actually prefer the old set. I'm not really digging the white symbol in the bottom right corner.

PreferredNot-so-hot

Yet I like the new icons inside of the main directories; A really big improvement is file icons actually look like paper with a dogear now, instead of looking like there's a piece missing in the top right corner. In fact the icons for most file types look largely improved, especially image files and .debs.
PreferredNot-so-hot

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
LibreOffice; I prefer the generic GNOME set.
preferredNot-so-hot

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Gedit editor icon; I like the new generic GNOME one.

PreferredNot-so-hot

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Eddy; I know the old one is a classic Debian icon but I've never liked looking at it. Almost anything would be better including the default GNOME 'box of tools and gears' which has shown up in Eddy's stead. I found the one on the left which I think looks OK.

PreferredNot-so-hot

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
GNOME Tweaks; I much prefer the current icon Pop is using to the other generic tweaks.

PreferredNot-so-hot

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Settings: I like the current one in preference to the one that showed up. I've used the screwdriver and spanner in Fedora and never liked how it stuck out like a sore thumb. Maybe it would be Ok if it had a border like the Gimp icon I've put below.

PreferredNot-so-hot

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Gimp: I know the "Image manipulation tool" has a great icon but it has always looked out of place to me. I've added a background concept that I think would make it fit in. All it would need is a dark grey or brown border or something like.

PreferredNice-but-out-of-place

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Finally, I don't want to say "hate', but I strongly dislike the Screenshot icon that came with the change. I don't know if it was intentional for Pop or part of the mixed result: I don't like this one. The one on the left is something I found in a DDG search and I like it a lot.
PreferredNot-at-all

Last edited:

isantop

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 20, 2018
Couple of follow-up points.

That Gedit icon is actually in-house, not from the GNOME theme. The GNOME one is fairly similar, but slightly different. Pencil and Paper metaphor just works really well for those.

The new theme will not include icons for any applications that aren't shipped with Pop OS by default, as a matter of branding. Even then, if an App has a distinct branding (e.g. Geary) we likely won't be override that. It's only "generic" applications (Files, Text Editor, Video Player, etc) that we're shipping app icons for. The rest of the effort is being put into mimetypes and other UI icons for a complete theme. So while the old GIMP icon fits better, since that's a branded application and one that isn't shipped with Pop, we won't be theming that icon.

I believe the Libreoffice icons are different due to a bug with having older icons from our parent theme included by accident. These are the ones that will show up (they are provided by the Libreoffice packaging):

I'm not sure where the screenshot icon is coming from. The correct one was not included in the theme due to a bug, but it should look like this:

This is the new icon being used for Eddy (and other generic software installs; Pop_Shop will continue using the rocket ship icon it presently uses):

As suspected, you're seeing a lot of old-styled icons due to those not being included in the new theme (potentially yet). The new GNOME Icons actually blend very well with our new style. Note that you need to be installing 3.32 versions of GNOME apps to get the new icons, as those are not provided in earlier versions. I've highlighted some of the new ones below:

AppIcon
Settings​
Tweaks​
Geary​

isantop

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 20, 2018
One other note; some of the icons you mentioned are not from our updated theme, but rather the theme whose structure we inherited with this new one. They are not styled correctly and thus won't be included in the final version. Our style uses a mostly flat design, with a 1px outline around all of the icons to help ensure contrast along with a thicker border at the bottom to give the icon a sense of depth. Some icons (Files is a good example) expand this outline as part of their silhouette to make them more recognizable. Others use a thicker bottom border to make them look like "cubes" (Archive Manager and the Deb/Compressed folder icons).

Others still exaggerate this even further to make them look "tall":

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Thanks for the extra info. I like the icons you've posted; LibreOffice, Screenshot, Eddy, Settings, Tweaks and Geary. It's a great idea to slim down the installation image by minimizing the amount of and size of icons. Although I have confidence in System76 in regard to this change, I'm a little apprehensive about GNOME's contribution. Maybe I shoudn't be because I like what they've done with the Settings icon. I'm sure you'll sort it out nicely and I'm looking forward to seeing the complete new set. If you need a guinea pig I'm available. ;)

Reactions: isantop

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weltknoten