• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

New Pop-Shell Launcher Plugin feature.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
System76's tiling extension for the GNOME desktop environment has proven to be yet another game-changer in the Linux universe. Since it's official release with the upgrade to 20.04, Pop-Shell has continually and consistently improved. Pop-Shell's stability and unique integration with GNOME has earned it a deserved place as a default inclusion in many Linux distributions. New functionality is being introduced on a regular basis. The new "stacking mode" is one fantastic example. Another is the augmentation of the Pop-Shell Launcher with an amazing plugin system. Let's unpack this a little, because the plugin system will take Pop-Shell functionality through the roof!

Typical of any good plugin system, the sky is the limit in regard to what can be achieved. Vim can be configured to almost any degree via the Vim-plug system. Z shell frameworks, like Oh-My-Zsh for example, can tap into many capabilities that is not included in Zsh by default. To clarify what this really means: There is now a way to make the Pop-Shell Launcher do almost anything that you want!

Currently, the Pop-Shell launcher plugins include a default set, but as the Pop community become aware of what can be achieved, many more will be available to choose from. Best of all, if you have a little Linux know how, you can add bespoke private plugins to manage, control and achieve anything you need. The default set includes the following plugins;

Calc​
Files​
Pulse​
Recent​
Terminal​
Web​
Gnome-session​

Calc is just the math.js functionality that has always been in the launcher, moved to it's own plugin. Just use super + / and then an = to begin any calculation or conversion. Below I'm converting ten meters to feet. The answer to calculations are right there in the 0verview. Hit enter to have the answer in the text field.

calc.png

Files will search the file system if you begin with / <search-term>. TAB will autocomplete a directory.
In the example below, If I hit enter, (or ctrl + 4) it will launch Gedit at /etc/apt/sources.list.

files.png

Files will also exclusively search your home folder ($HOME) by beginning with ~. If you only type ~ and enter, it will launch Nautilus at your users home folder. Additionally, if you type ~/<file> it will search $HOME. For example: ~/.config. Once again, TAB will autocomplete directories.

Pulse adds necessary and easy control for audio. I believe it is used with "<command>". For example "volume up", "volume down" or "toggle mute".
[edited]

Recent will find any recent documents with lightning speed with d: <name>. The document being a markdown file will open with my default, Marktext.

recent.png

Terminal makes the launcher a useful command line tool. Starting with : <command> will enable you to run a single command.

terminal.png

Beginning with t: <command> will execute the command, but launch it in a new terminal window.

terminal-window.png
terminal-luanched.png

Web is an interesting inclusion which focuses Pop-shell's functionality beyond the desktop. By first typing ddg and adding a search term, the launcher will open a new default browser window, in which a DuckDuckGo search will initiate. As of today's update and inclusion of the plug-in system, you can search the following sites directly through the launcher;

web-wiki.png

web-wiki-window.png

• wiki <term> will search Wikipedia. The top-level-domain should default to your browser and desktop settings.
  • bing <term> will conduct a Bing search.
  • ddg <term> will conduct a DuckDuckGo search
  • google <term> will conduct a Google search.
  • yt <term> will search for videos on YouTube.
  • amazon <term> will search for products on Amazon.
  • stack <term> will search for information on Stack Overflow.
  • crates <term> will search for Rust crates that you may need.
  • arch <term> will conduct a search o the Arch Wiki.
  • pp <term> will conduct a search on Pop!_Planet forums.
  • ppw <term> will conduct a search on Pop!_Planet wiki.
  • rdt <term> will initiate a search of Reddit.
  • bc <term> will initiate a search for music on Bandcamp.

web-bc.png

web-bc-homies.png

As you can see, the list is reasonably diverse, and with a little knowledge you can add whatever you desire to this list. It can be added privately, or you can share it with the community. I'll likely create a guide that will help people understand and create plugins for themselves in future, but I'm sure you'll agree the defaults are pretty awesome.

A couple of additional mentions are GNOME shell control and easy access to System76 Power. These are so simple to use. Just start typing what you want, select and press enter. The choices are;
  • reboot
  • shutdown
  • logout
  • hybrid
  • compute
  • integrated

Give it all a try!

Earlier, I said that the sky is the limit in regard to what functionality the plugin system can add to Pop-Shell. The System76 team are eager to see what the community can come up with. I hope you enjoy experimenting with all these great features.

Last edited:

Julz

Oct 4, 2020
Thanks for this short guide.
It is such a wonderful functionality. So convenient. I seldomly use anything else than the launcher to navigate the system anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpian555