• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question Solved no dns resolution for local domain with ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 on Thinkpad P43s

hansvaneylen

Oct 11, 2019
My P43s works fine on WiFi and Ethernet, both for internet and local domain. It gets its ip and dns server address from a pi-hole, serving as dhcp and dns.

When I connect to the Ethernet connector on my Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2, name resolution for any internet server works fine but my local domain names no longer resolve, even with WiFi still active:
  • ping responds with "Temporary failure in name resolution"
  • host responds with "Host myservername not found: 2(SERVFAIL)"
  • nslookup responds with "** server can't find myservername: NXDOMAIN"
Network settings of the USB Ethernet show the address of the pi-hole as dns server but apparently it doesn't use it.

How can I fix this?

hansvaneylen

Oct 11, 2019
the domain is configured in the Pi-Hole. In fact it works fine on my Intel NUC running Pop!OS. It also works fine on my laptop whenever it's on Ethernet, connected to the laptop direcctly. Yesterday it worked fine on WiFi too but today, as soon as I switch to WiFi or to the Ethernet connector on the docking station, it stops working.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Another usual suspect that you could look into is the problematic systemd resolved. It's improving all the time, but many issues exist with the way it fails to persist unusual configs. Many people replace it with the tried and true dnsmasq resolver.

MikeStutzzzz

Mar 10, 2019
What is your domain? I remember having issues and it needed to be fully qualified. so for example not just host01.mylab I needed it to be host01.mylab.lan

hansvaneylen

Oct 11, 2019
the domain configured in the Pi-Hole was still using a .local suffix, a heritage blindly taken over from a previous Microsoft Windows DNS setup. I changed it to .lan and name resolution works perfectly now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krige