• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Old guy, new member.

Cool Games

Apr 6, 2021
Groton, MA USA
DECUS DC in 1995 met Linus at Red Hat table.
Took his picture with Bob Young so he gave me 32 and 64 bit Red Hat Linux v2.0.
Later we did this
MBone live video stream on a T1 world multicast !

Later I got DEC Multia Alpha 64 bit to run this new OS.
I used a custom gen to masquerade dial-up to Compuserve at 9600 baud with auto redial if hung up on.

By 2000 I was serving Cool Games Network over leased DSL at 1 Mbps !

In 2016 I got a System 76 Lemur with Ubuntu 16.04.
Now in 2021 I reinstalled fresh POP! OS 2010 from USB drive and looked here for historical and future uses.

Old guy ?
My first computer was actually a friends
Imsai Alair 8080 8 bit computer !
Fat finger operating system !

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Welcome Cool Games, There's actually a good number of older, super experienced computer and Linux experts here. You should be at home.

Cool Games

Apr 6, 2021
Groton, MA USA
OK,
So I am getting my feet wet or maybe in over my head but I think POP OS should be an official flavour of UBUNTU and also need to fix the path to MATTERMOST for POP Community.

Upgrading to Ubuntu Studio 20.10

Due to the change in desktop environment, direct upgrades to Ubuntu Studio 20.10 from any previous version of Ubuntu Studio are unsupported.
I joined on MATTERMOST eventually and got my SYSTEM 76 Lemur laptop running 3 desktop choices.
POP OS 20.10
Ubuntu Studio with new PLASMA using ubuntustudio installer and SPACE BAR boot to switch kernel.

Version 20.04.2 LTS Focal Fossa
(Xfce Desktop)

The latest Long-Term Support release
Supported until April 2023

Don't want Xfce? Use Ubuntu Studio Installer on any other official Ubuntu flavor!
Installing XFCE4 to make UBUNTU STUDIO menus look as they have been since 2016 when I got Lemur.

Matermost - Chrome - ERROR - Screenshot from 2021-04-08 08-49-24.png

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I think POP OS should be an official flavour of UBUNTU
Ubuntu don't want that. Although they're happy enough to work on packages together, and accept downstream PRs, they really don't want to take any responsibility for Pop!_OS. I don't think System76 would want that either, but I can't speak for them. Besides, Ubuntu flavors is similar to Fedora spins, and Pop would does not qualify in that sense. System76 have removed a lot of Ubuntu's code and rewritten many critical system components.

QUOTE]need to fix the path to MATTERMOST for POP Community.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what you mean by that. It's working fine. Can you elaborate?

I apologize if I'm missing something, but is there a question in the rest of the information? Or, are you just showing us the new machine and set up?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awsumatt