• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

One question - why, Ubuntu why ?

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Hi.

Not sure if this the best place to start the discussion on recent Ubuntu's (Canonical's, in fact) decision to drop support for such a big (and growing since latest reviews) group of Ubuntu Linux fans - gamers - by removing 32bit support. This is like shooting own foot.
My logic says that it must be some money / lobbying/ industry push behind this change - IoT, AI and similar topics were bubbling Canonical's FB for some time already. Going from consumer / end user / developer to industries ?

I don't care for Ubuntu itself too much. I'm worrying about whole ecosystem built around Ubuntu Desktop. And Steam's decision to find some new distro for their platform will create huge gap in "Gaming on Linux can be as good as on Windows!" saga - it takes time to re-base on other distro. That's pity. Of course this will create opportunities for others, including Pop!_OS.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Regards
Artūras

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I have strong opinions about Ubuntu, so my input about the project in general is probably better kept to myself in this discussion. I will say this, Ubuntu wouldn't be the first to drop, or plan to drop support for 32 bit architecture. It might be years away, but I think Pop should head there at some point too. I don't game so I'm not concerned at all about the whole thing. I would be concerned if 32 bit packages started bloating my Pop!_OS installation.

The reasons will be revealed in time. It's no secret that Ubuntu have been heading down the IoT road for some time, so that wouldn't surprise me. Maybe the emergence of Pop being great for gaming is the opportunity they've been looking for to move on.

As for the ecosystem, I'm not concerned that Ubuntu dropping 32 bit support, or even changing radically will effect System76 greatly or prevent them from creating and distributing a fantastic and stable operating system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbidwell94