• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Organizing Pop! Volunteers

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hi there!

I am a recent college CS grad and have been looking for a good open-source project to contribute to for a while. I'm currently working as an automation engineer in a .NET environment, but I'm competent with programming in Rust and Python as well.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for projects to look into. I'll keep skimming through the pop GitHub projects to see if anything catches my eye. I've been using Pop OS for about a year now, so I'm happy to work on testing/documentation as well.
If there's any areas you're interested in, feel free to ask about them, and I can point you in the right direction. Key areas right now are library development of disk management, package management, power management, and system health & repair. There's also improving the quality of the elementary appcenter by contributing improvements upstream, and improving the feature set of Popsicle. If you have ideas of your own, feel free to suggest them.

You may also want to check out Redox OS. There's much opportunity to share developments between Redox and Pop!_OS. Redox needs a lot of system libraries and tools written in Rust. Many of these could be ported to Linux as well (if porting is even required). These are longer-term investments, of course, as you have to develop many things from scratch.

Outside of coding, adding missing appstream data to our repos is really helpful, and hugely beneficial to end users that rely on this data being available to install that software from the shop. The missing GIMP appstream metadata, for example.

ayoungethan

Jun 19, 2019
Hello, I am new to Pop!_OS as of last month. I really appreciate the overall open source approach of System76 as it works to integrate hardware and software. It's like Apple's integration...but with values that coincide with my own :)

I can write and have a specific interest in pro audio (low latency) setup and documentation, which I mentioned here: https://pop-planet.info/forums/threads/pro-audio-pop.249/#post-1150 and in my introduction in that part of the forum.

sudorm-rf

May 4, 2019
Dallas,TX
graynixer.github.io
Hey, @mmstick , right now I'm open to testing and community work. I am in the process of learning to code but not at any level where I can be useful in that aspect.

But anything else I'm open, qa,testing, moderation, packaging(would need to learn), etc. I have 0 artistic skills so i'm no good on that side.

Always eager to help though.

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@sudorm-rf We always need help with quality assistance and testing, and It's actually really easy for end users to engage in the testing side using the staging repositories made available through apt.pop-os.org and the Pop!_OS Proposed PPA on Launchpad.

Every commit to every branch on every GitHub repository with debian packaging, signaled by the existence of the debian directory in the project root, creates a unique staging repository with the same name as the branch that it was created from. To add a staging repository to your system, you must:

1. Use `git` to `clone` the `pop-os/pop` GitHub repository
  2. Execute the `pop/scripts/apt` script to `add` the staging repository by its branch name
  3. `sudo apt upgrade` after that completes to upgrade to the staging version of the package
You only need to be mindful to remove the staging repository once that branch has been merged back into master. Otherwise you'll end up in a scenario where apt is pointing to a repository that no longer exists. The software that gets merged goes straight to the Proposed PPA on Launchpad for a final period of testing, before later ending up in the stable repositories.

If you want to learn packaging, that would be great, though we're soon going to migrate all the third party applications to Flatpak at some point, so that we can focus more on the development of our own software. We are in dire need of more software developers that know Rust. I have an `ecs-disk-manager` project that could use some help in a lot of different areas, and many more other project ideas that we could do in Rust to improve the Linux desktop and our differentiation with others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis_vasconcelos