• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Happy New Year!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Pop!_OS on MacBook Pro install

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Hi.

Have almost perfect Pop!_OS installation on MBP 2014. Just got MBP 2017, decided ditch Mac OS and install Pop!_OS as on my older MBP.
Live USB booted, complained something about PCI, but booted.
And suddenly problem - keyboard and trackpad are not working. Live session reacted to the power on/off button, but non of the remaining keys are working.

Tried to look for solutions o the internet, no luck. Found the only post on r/pop_os without solution.

Anyone knows the reasons/how to solve this ?

Regards
ArturasB.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The only way to resolve whether you can for sure is to disable secure boot and install on the hardware. As you might know there are mixed results with Apple hardware and you may not achieve total success. This may help though. From that article there's some detail you might have missed;

9. Shut down the Mac you want to install Linux on and attach the USB stick.
10. Power up the Mac while holding down the Option key.
11. Choose the EFI Boot option from the startup screen and press Return.
12. You will see a black and white screen with options to Try Ubuntu and Install Ubuntu. Don't choose either yet, press "e" to edit the boot entry.
13. Edit the line that begins with Linux and place the word "nomodeset" after "quiet splash". The whole line should read: "linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash nomodeset --. (See screenshot, below.)
14. Press F10.
15. Ubuntu boots into trial mode.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Looks like MBPs 2016 and later has no support for the newest Apple HW from Linux kernel. Some work is in the progress, requires manual install of kernel drivers.
That would be OK, but on my MBP 2017 Pop!_OS installer crashed after keyboard layout is selected, tried with both 18.04 & 19.04.
Used Etcher for making Live USB, UEFI etc.

Wait until kernel/ubuntu/pop!_os gets proper support for late MacBook Pro or trade MBP for better suported laptop ;) ?

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Apple is doing everything they can to stop people leaving their ecosystem. I wouldn't want to be waiting for anything official.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Apple is doing everything they can to stop people leaving their ecosystem. I wouldn't want to be waiting for anything official.
I understand that. I'm not expecting any help from Apple. I hope linux comunity will fix it, but this requires time.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
It was implied, but not made clear in my last post, that Apple are actively trying to prevent the Linux community from being able to utilize macs. Some models are harder to re-purpose than others, and I've seen the odd forum post where there is nothing anyone can do about a particular problem on a specific model. For example, a trackpad or keyboard hot key. So you might have some success but I wouldn't count on it being perfect.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
It was implied, but not made clear in my last post, that Apple are actively trying to prevent the Linux community from being able to utilize macs. Some models are harder to re-purpose than others, and I've seen the odd forum post where there is nothing anyone can do about a particular problem on a specific model. For example, a trackpad or keyboard hot key. So you might have some success but I wouldn't count on it being perfect.
Then it is clear what to do - I have to sell MBP 2017 and look for second hand laptop which is better supported in Linux and has about the same good screen as MBP's Retina.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Thinking about it, I would be inclined to see if I could make it work on the bare hardware. If it wasn't good I would reinstall OS X and sell it. I kinda like to tinker with things though.

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Eventually you get a bad experience trying to install Linux on Mac, if you want use Linux on a Mac you had better to install macports so you can have a lot of GNU applications, like Imagemagick or ffmpeg. You can also use a VM, just to experiment, but the best option is selling your Mac and buy anything else that is well tailored for Linux, like System76 laptops.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Eventually you get a bad experience trying to install Linux on Mac, if you want use Linux on a Mac you had better to install macports so you can have a lot of GNU applications, like Imagemagick or ffmpeg. You can also use a VM, just to experiment, but the best option is selling your Mac and buy anything else that is well tailored for Linux, like System76 laptops.
I'd better sell my MBP 2017 and buy better supported HW. But that didn't work, so I left with Apple's HW, which performs surprisingly well with Linux, especially pre-2015. Of course, I wouldn't buy MBP to use it with Linux on purpose. But it works well, better than Asus portables, at least in my experience.

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
I bought a Mac once and never did the same error, but I was young and prone to make mistake. I use a Debiam VM inside MacOS and Macports to get all the GNU stack I need, but this at work, at home I have a S76 laptop and a bunch of Arm SoCs with Linux.

I am not a big fan of dual boot, eventually I doesn't work but if your laptop has a dual GPUs you might try to use aVBox with the VGA passthrough and get almost the same performance as a bare metal installation. Who knows? just you!

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liozek