• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Pop!_Shop notification indicator bug

xhawk

Jun 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with Pop!_Shop notification indicator. Every time when pop os is booted I got notification from Pop!_Shop that some updates are available, and then when I go to installed section there's nothing to update

Thanks.
Screenshot from 2020-06-22 22-25-42.png

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
It's a brilliant move by System76 to include Flatpak integration in the Pop!_Shop, but as you can see, there's still a couple small bugs. Flatpak was traditionally used with the flatpak command till now. For example;
flatpak install <package>
flatpak list
flatpak update

..and so on.

Reactions: xhawk

sliding_billy

Feb 2, 2020
It has been there for a week for me, and went from 1 phantom update to 2 this morning. I have ran flatpak update many times. No change. I ended up taking pop shop out of favorites since turning off notifications made no change and the notification doesn't show in the regular app list (for me at least). I am using dash to dock if that matters, but I am not about to turn that off. P.S. I don't even have any flatpaks installed (checked flatpak list) even though I have ran the update command.

sliding_billy

Feb 2, 2020
Try running sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade. It should either clear it or tell you what needs doing.
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, it doesn't take the better part of a day upgrading (along with uninstalling and reinstalling apps that weren't working right) like it did when I went from 19.10 to Beta 20.04.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The apt update and upgrade command isn't a version upgrade. It will just update your system.

From man apt;

Code:
update (apt-get(8))
           update is used to download package information from all configured sources. Other commands operate on this data to e.g. perform package upgrades or search in and display details about all packages available for installation.

upgrade (apt-get(8))
           upgrade is used to install available upgrades of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources configured via sources.list(5). New packages will  be installed if required to satisfy dependencies, but existing packages will  never be removed. If an upgrade for a package requires the removal of an installed package the upgrade for this package isn't performed.

full-upgrade (apt-get(8))
           full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed ackages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.

sliding_billy

Feb 2, 2020
The apt update and upgrade command isn't a version upgrade. It will just update your system.

From man apt;

Code:
update (apt-get(8))
           update is used to download package information from all configured sources. Other commands operate on this data to e.g. perform package upgrades or search in and display details about all packages available for installation.

upgrade (apt-get(8))
           upgrade is used to install available upgrades of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources configured via sources.list(5). New packages will  be installed if required to satisfy dependencies, but existing packages will  never be removed. If an upgrade for a package requires the removal of an installed package the upgrade for this package isn't performed.

full-upgrade (apt-get(8))
           full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed ackages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.
Sorry, I know and was being facetious. Just tried it, and no updates/upgrades were found. Two icon notifications still show, and a menu bar notification showed again even after reboot. The menu bar notification disappears after clicking on it (launching pop shop) or by launching pop shop from the icon. Either way, icon notification remains and pop shop has no available updates.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Hmm, :unsure:

I had a machine that was on 20.04 beta which just rolled into the official release. I thought it was acting a bit weird in a couple ways, but being a test machine I borked it and reinstalled after. The fresh installation was definitely more responsive and less buggy than the roll-over. just saying.

I'm wondering if coming off the beta status of Flatpak integration is somehow borked. Perhaps try sudo apt install --reinstall flatpak to straighten things out.

Reactions: sliding_billy

sliding_billy

Feb 2, 2020

I had a machine that was on 20.04 beta which just rolled into the official release. I thought it was acting a bit weird in a couple ways, but being a test machine I borked it and reinstalled after. The fresh installation was definitely more responsive and less buggy than the roll-over. just saying.

I'm wondering if coming off the beta status of Flatpak integration is somehow borked. Perhaps try sudo apt install --reinstall flatpak to straighten things out.
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

sliding_billy

Feb 2, 2020
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

No luck. Icon notification stays (and returns to both menu bar and app icon after reboot) after flatpak reinstall.

Mr.D

Jun 10, 2020
I have this. Just decided not to think about it.

Last edited:

sliding_billy

Feb 2, 2020
I have this. Just decided now to think about it.
Please post if you figure anything out. Hoping that the Pop dev team resolves this at some point. If not, might be time for a distro change for me. Too locked down since the 20.04 upgrade, and I can only deal with so much of folks patting themselves on the back with Reddit posts about how much the love Pop like they just discovered a hidden gem when they started using Linux.

Mr.D

Jun 10, 2020
Please post if you figure anything out. Hoping that the Pop dev team resolves this at some point. If not, might be time for a distro change for me. Too locked down since the 20.04 upgrade, and I can only deal with so much of folks patting themselves on the back with Reddit posts about how much the love Pop like they just discovered a hidden gem when they started using Linux.
Small typo. Meant to say I’m not thinking about. Waiting for my new lemur son I really don’t care anymore.

Reactions: sliding_billy

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loki