• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Pop as a daily driver dev machine. One month in

404usrnmntfnd

Feb 7, 2020
Saint Paul MN
tinyurl.com
I recently bought a new laptop. It's a fantastic laptop, it's snappy and well sized. I decided on a whim to run Pop as my daily driver. I have some comments and complaints about it and I thought I would share them here.

As always the Theme looks absolutely fantastic, the colour scheme is nice and it's easy on the eyes. Pop shell isn't really necessary for me as I just manually tile my Windows, but it's really helpful as a launcher. It boots in seconds and it has Flatpak (NICE). It has almost every programming language you could think of preinstalled.

Although there are some really nice parts, there are some parts I don't like:
-Pop shop is unstable
-Really easy to break, one bad compile and you're dead
-Adaptive wallpapers don't work out of the box
-Scaling is really funky
-A few upstream issues I won't mention here (fixed in Shell 3.37)

Overall I'm enjoying my time with Pop, but I'll probably hop instead of reinstalling in a few months (I reinstall or hop every 6 months)

• Informative
Reactions: TeamLinux01

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I didn't comment at the time because I agree with everything you said. I thought others would possibly give feedback, but didn't happen. Most of the things you mentioned as not liking, I don't use or care about, but the upstream issue fixes are definitely lethargic. I'm not sure if it is a matter of priority or shear amount of work to be done, but some of those things would surely make life easier.

As for "one bad compile and you're dead", I'm on the fence about. I can see what you're saying, but there's so many variables I don't even know how to comment. Having said, that's a good reason to have something like Timeshift to make system back-ups you can restore to.

Like I said earlier, I agree with what you've said above, but I am curious, where would you hop to if that eventuated?

404usrnmntfnd

Feb 7, 2020
Saint Paul MN
tinyurl.com
Like I said earlier, I agree with what you've said above, but I am curious, where would you hop to if that eventuated?
I did hop to Fedora after 2 months on Pop (It broke again and I said fuck it). I spent a month there.I then spent 3 weeks on Ubuntu and Now I'm back on Pop. I've been back for a few days and I'm pretty happy. I think I screwed my system when I Refreshed my install.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
For me, Fedora is the only other viable option, but it has it's fair share of bugs and problems. Being on the "Bleeding edge" as they say, Fedora can be a mess. I used to run it one full version behind for stability. Having said, I found Pop much more stable, usable and aesthetically pleasing.

404usrnmntfnd

Feb 7, 2020
Saint Paul MN
tinyurl.com
For me, Fedora is the only other viable option, but it has it's fair share of bugs and problems. Being on the "Bleeding edge" as they say, Fedora can be a mess. I used to run it one full version behind for stability. Having said, I found Pop much more stable, usable and aesthetically pleasing.
I contribute to Gnome and now Fedora. I needed to run Fedora for testing week and just stuck with it. I enjoyed my time there but I'm happy to be back on a Debian base. Pop is the closest to pure Gnome that you can get on an Ubuntu base right now. As for buggy I don't think so, We are doing BlockerBugs right now, and I'm fighting to delay the release due to a huge Memory leak on AMD cards (You need an FAS account, or a Red Hat customer account to see the bug). So we try to keep the bugs out, and I think we are pretty successful.

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I think we are pretty successful.
Absolutely. I would use Fedora before I'd use Ubuntu, but that is a personal preference that could become contentious. I'm interested in Silverblue and keep an eye on it. I like the concept and also the minimal install and apps that it has. I dislike many of the default Fedora apps, but Silverblue doesn't ship the ones I dislike, so they're not baked in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtg92