• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Happy New Year!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Pop Installer stuck on MacBook Pro 2018

knussear

Dec 12, 2019
Hoping someone has experience here.
I have a 2018 macbook pro that I want to dual boot with pop_os. I have followed the procedures here (Dual Booting Linux on Mac), to disable the T2 security and allow for booting on USB. I'm using the Intel based iso for 19.10. Rebooting and holding the alt key I get the USB as a choice, but when I boot there are a series of dhd*** lines, and then the process stops at "dhd_rx_event: scan complete". I confirmed that the stick does work on my older 2013 Powerbook, so its not the stick. Any ideas on how to solve this?
THX and TIA

knussear

Dec 12, 2019
I got zero responses here or elsewhere. I am able to get Ubuntu to install, but other complications have caused me to back off and run things in a VirtualBox until I get new hardware.

Vinny

Jan 27, 2020
How are you able to install Ubuntu? I cant run it in VirtualBox since it doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 Pass-trough for my eGPU?

How did you install Ubuntu? It doesn't let me install it on an external SSD.

Vinny

Jan 27, 2020
Havent helped. I just tried to install Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro 2018 and its also getting stuck.

Im wondering about another solution. Would it be possible instead of installing Ubuntu to run it as Live USB but with persistency for all data?

Please someone help.

Attachments

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Sure, there's plenty of live Operating systems with persistence available. They should work for you because they generally run in RAM memory.

Vinny

Jan 27, 2020
I need to keep going with my work. Need to use eGPU for tensorflow, Cuda etc Really difficult to install any linux on a MacBook Pro 2018.

"There are a few limitations. You can’t modify system files, like the kernel. You can’t perform major system upgrades. You also can’t install hardware drivers. However, you can install most applications. You can even update most installed applications, so you can be sure your persistent USB drive has the latest version of the web browser you prefer."

Looks like live usb with persistence won't be a solution. I need to install Nvidia drivers etc

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
It certainly can be. Apple don't want you to do that. ;)
The good news, however, is that the Linux kernel is getting better at supporting Macs all the time. The latest kernel, for example, made huge improvements towards running Linux on macbooks. Macs are notoriously difficult to get anything running on them besides OS X, but some people get a win. Most people end up compromising with less than perfect functionality.
Your more functional choices would be either a virtual environment on the mac for Linux, or like you suggested, a live distro on USB.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Is that Ubuntu?
Edit: whatever it is, it means Grub isn't installed on the device your trying to install on and it is required.

Maybe you can get answers or ask here. There would be a lot more people there who would know exactly what you're trying to do. I've never tried to put Linux on Mac because it seems too unstable, temperamental and hard to configure.

Last edited:

Vinny

Jan 27, 2020
No luck there. Im just trying to install ANY linux that has Nvidia drivers and tensorflow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liozek