• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question Pop OS 19.04 "Install failed, possibly due to hardware error" when installing to luks encrypted logic volumes

eluvastar

Sep 3, 2019
I am a linux noob, but through enough experimenting managed to install pop once with a windows dual boot and custom partitions. I decided I wanted to encrypt the OS so I wiped the Pop partitions and created a luks partition onto which I created three logic volumes using lvm, following the Arch dm-decrypt documentation at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#LVM_on_LUKS. I created a 50g root volume, 8g swap and used the rest for home with 100%FREE. I managed to unlock the partition in the Pop installer partition chooser (after selecting custom install) and selected the logic volumes. I kept the boot volume separate and unencrypted. Afterwards, it said that the install failed, possibly due to hardware error.

Going back in the installation, to where you choose whether to do a clean install or custom install, it also has an option for unlocking the encrypted storage. Doing that there results in "Decryption error: the decrypted partition does not have a LVM volume on it, even though it presumably shows the volumes graphically in the partition selector afterwards. I attached the installer log.

Attachments

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Are you still dual booting? Whenever you create custom partitions, you lose the ability to use full disk encryption. The best you can do is to use LUKS to encrypt your home folder.

One of the talking points in this thread mentions the loss of full disk encryption when dual booting.

eluvastar

Sep 3, 2019
Are you still dual booting? Whenever you create custom partitions, you lose the ability to use full disk encryption. The best you can do is to use LUKS to encrypt your home folder.

One of the talking points in this thread mentions the loss of full disk encryption when dual booting.
I am still dual booting, but I am not using the installers built-in full-disk encryption. I tried creating a LUKS encrypted partition and a logic volume group for Pop to install to. I seem to be getting an error in the installer where I manage to decrypt the partition, but the installer says that there is no logic volume on it. That only happens after I have decrypted it once; if I decrypt the partition in the menu where you graphically choose partitions to install to, the logic volumes appear and I can choose them. The installation still fails.

eluvastar

Sep 3, 2019
Maybe this is of use.
This is actually what I tried in my most recent attempt, though it is pretty much verbatim what it says in the Arch documentation that I followed earlier. I even used the names for the volumes used in the reddit post, the only difference being my volume sizes and using 100%FREE for my home volume. It still doesn't work.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Did you make a separate EFI partition for Pop, or are you using the Windows EFI?

eluvastar

Sep 3, 2019
Separate EFI for Pop.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The reason why full disk encryption is not possible with custom partitioning is that the Linux kernel is in Pop's EFI. In a dual boot scenario it shares boot information, but the OS needs the kernel that is in it, so it can't be secured because it is sharing. Simplified maybe, but that has always been my understanding. Pop differs from Arch, Ubuntu and most other OS in this regard.

eluvastar

Sep 3, 2019
I see. I also found this post: https://pop-planet.info/forums/threads/this-week-in-pop-19-july-19th.316/.
The first system to be executed is the removal system. It will apply all devices that have been tagged for removal, supporting the removal of partitions and wiping disk signatures. Removing a logical volume from a LVM volume group is not yet supported, but support will be trivial once the required methods are added to the lvmdbus crate.

The second system, currently unimplemented, will be the resizing system, which will resize partitions. In addition to resizing partitions, it will need to be able to activate and deactivate LVM PVs on LVM VGs. This is currently a low priority, so it will be the last system to be implemented.

The third, and the most complex, system added was the creation system. This system is nearing completion, and is responsible for applying all operations that create partitions, LVM PVs, LVM VGs, and LVM LVs. In order to support this system, methods have been added to the disk manager to specify creation operations. The challenge has been supporting not only the creation of partitions on partitionable devices, but also the creation of partition tables, LUKS-encrypted partitions, LVM volume groups, and the LVM logical volumes that are assigned to LVM volume groups. Some further work will be necessary to support creating LVM and LUKS devices.
And it seems a commenter still managed to install to encrypted volumes, but with a complicated workaround.
That is cool, because actually it was quite difficult installing pop on two encrypted disks with LVM spread on both. So far I saw LVM was unable to mount partially the LVM group and I had to do a complicated workaround.

Anyway I decided to take the risk to not separate / from HOME with two partition and I am glad that you are working hard to address these limitations on LVM!
So I think I will wait with encryption for now, I'm too much of a noob to continue tinkering with this :).
Thanks for the help anyways!

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg