• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Pop os broken (actually unusable) after updating

Habsyakir

Jun 17, 2020
After installing a pop os update and rebooting my system pop os refuses to load any apps nor terminal (no it's not a driver problem I checked) while loading the app or terminal it just freezes the whole system freezes I can't even do anything I waited for 1hour still the same even the clock stopped the only thing I can interact is with the login screen and the terminal in the loading screen all and all the whole system is broken

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Can you give a little more information, and maybe some punctuation?

What version are you on?
What modifications have you done? Any non-default desktop environments?
What GNOME extensions are installed?
Are pop-desktop, pop-session and pop-default-settings installed?

Habsyakir

Jun 17, 2020
Can you give a little more information, and maybe some punctuation?

What version are you on?
What modifications have you done? Any non-default desktop environments?
What GNOME extensions are installed?
Are pop-desktop, pop-session and pop-default-settings installed?
I am on pop os 20.04
I have done 1 modification which is installing xanmod kernal I remember the kernal was updating in the terminal
No I don't have any non desktop environments only pop os's
I stick to the gnome extension given by pop os I can't check because the system freezes and I basically can't do anything
I have pop desktop I have pop session I still remember and I have pop default settings
But I do remember some gnome extensions being updated in the terminal
And that's about it

tompop

Jun 29, 2020
I hate to tell you, but it's most probably the kernel. I believe you when you say you felt a performance improvement. Nevertheless, when you install foreign kernels into a distribution, you must expect this sort of thing as a possibility.

You must still have the original kernel installed. Have you tried selecting it to boot in the grub menu? You didn't mention it.

Habsyakir

Jun 17, 2020
I hate to tell you, but it's most probably the kernel. I believe you when you say you felt a performance improvement. Nevertheless, when you install foreign kernels into a distribution, you must expect this sort of thing as a possibility.

You must still have the original kernel installed. Have you tried selecting it to boot in the grub menu? You didn't mention it.
How do you go to a grub menu?

tompop

Jun 29, 2020
How do you go to a grub menu?
I think for UEFI you hold down the escape key at boot. If that doesn't work, try the shift key.

Then choose advanced options or something like that. You will be able to choose your original kernel. I'd bet anything you will boot fine once you do.

After that, you can do a bit of research about your desired kernel. If this is happening to you, others have certainly come across it. There's probably a fix posted already somewhere. If not, the maintainers are sure to address it sooner or later.

Don't forget Pop is based on Ubuntu. 99 percent of the issues and fixes for Ubuntu will work on Pop. Look around the Ubuntu forums and even the Debian ones. Someone somewhere knows how to fix this.

Habsyakir

Jun 17, 2020
I think for UEFI you hold down the escape key at boot. If that doesn't work, try the shift key.

Then choose advanced options or something like that. You will be able to choose your original kernel. I'd bet anything you will boot fine once you do.

After that, you can do a bit of research about your desired kernel. If this is happening to you, others have certainly come across it. There's probably a fix posted already somewhere. If not, the maintainers are sure to address it sooner or later.

Don't forget Pop is based on Ubuntu. 99 percent of the issues and fixes for Ubuntu will work on Pop. Look around the Ubuntu forums and even the Debian ones. Someone somewhere knows how to fix this.
I have a problem with this everytime I boot to pop os it flickers 2 times and goes to the login menu. I don't know why it does this. but the grub menu doesn't appear because of this and I can't go into it. Mine is UEFI by the way

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loki