• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

POP_OS USB live install fails on kernel allocation

cmhorn

Jul 28, 2020
I have only once ever gotten the install to work, without the kernel allocation error or the blank screen after hitting install error, and this was when launching the installer through Windows boot loader.

I am trying to install on a windowless system and am not going to install windows just for the sake of using their boot loader.

Secure boot is off, fast boot is off etc... per the try this first article on failed installations .

In Bios I am seeing two entries for the USB - one which I think is the EFI partition, which if I select it throws the allocate kernel error. The other just gets me to a blank screen. Both of these results are after the Pop screen comes up and I hit the install button.

Why would the windows boot loader be required?

Any help appreciated.

cmhorn

Jul 28, 2020
After messing around, I found the following:

In the Bios, I had 2 partitions showing up on the boot menu. I had to drag the second to the top and have it boot from that partition from restart (not from boot menu) in order for it to work. Even so, it got hung on the first attempt, but on the second it worked.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Oh, it left the EFI and wouldn't budge automatically. Weird. If you want to remove the Windows EFI, you can use bootctl.

Bootctl can check the EFI boot loader status, list available boot
loaders and boot loader entries, and install, update, or remove the
systemd-boot(7) boot loader on the current system.

Here's a sample of how to use it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebgucciardi