• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Happy New Year!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

PopOS on MacBook Pro late 2018 with RTX 2080 Super eGPU

Vinny

Jan 27, 2020
Hello guys, Im working on a late 2018 15" 6 Core, 32gb ram MacBook Pro and I just got a 2080 Super and a Razer Chroma x and external monitor today.
MacOs doesn't support Nvidia RTX cards and after searching for the best linux distro for Tensorflow, pytorch, Cuda etc I came across pop.

I have a few questions regarding the installation.
1. I can choose between Intel/AMD and Nvidia installation. I could install the AMD version and then install the Nvidia Cuda drivers and only use the eGPU for ML or I could install the Nvidia version and use the gpu to also power my external monitor.

At the moment I plugged in a monitor directly into my MacBook but I have the cables to plug it into my Nvidia GPU (if I have the drivers for it).

So my first question is: If I install the Nvidia version of pop, will pop recognise the eGPU straight away? Can I just plug the montitor to the gpu and install pop Nvidia version? or should I install intel/AMD first and then install the Nvidia drivers?

2. Bootcamp only works with windows as far as I know, what is the safest way to install dual-boot pop on my MacBook Pro?

Vinny

Jan 27, 2020
I had mad issues with the T2 chip on my MacBook so I installed it onto a SSD and im able to boot form my Mbp. I then didn't have the wifi drivers so I bought an USB to Ethernet adapter and I went online and ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and its now stuck when I log in at cryptsetup: crypt data: set up successfully.

I unplugged the eGPU and all other devices just in case since I cant get to the boot loader with the eGPU plugged in anyway but its still stuck there for some reason.

Any advice how to get the WIFI, Touchpad and keyboard drivers for MacBook Pro 2018 on pop?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liozek