• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

PopOS Stuck on first BOOT

0xDELS

Sep 4, 2020
Hi everyone, I’m having an issue when trying to install popOS.

I’ve downloaded the .iso image today, the non-NVIDIA version and I created the bootable pen using Rufus, all default settings.

My system is:
Motherboard - ATX MSI X570-A Pro
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU - ASUS 5500XT
RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz

When I turn my PC on and choose the bootable pen I’m greeted with the popOS try or install menu, and then it gets stuck here (), I’ve already tried running the boot pen in UEFI and non UEFI mode, always with the same result.

This is the first time I’m running into this issue, last week I installed popOS on another machine without any issue. The other machine was intel-based.

Does anyone have any idea on what could fix my problem?

Thanks.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
If you're using Rufus, try selecting dd mode. Pop is a hybrid ISO and any tampering will corrupt it. Etcher, and Pop's own Popsicle, are both basically frontends for dd, so you could try those also. Make sure to verify the download also.

Ok, it looks like it installed though, and you reached a user session. I've read that support for the 5500XT might need a newer kernel, so you could try to enter TTY4 (no graphical environment) to download and install a newer kernel. To clarify, I'm not certain that this will definitely fix your display, but newer AMD gear usually benefits from a newer kernel.

0xDELS

Sep 4, 2020
If you're using Rufus, try selecting dd mode. Pop is a hybrid ISO and any tampering will corrupt it. Etcher, and Pop's own Popsicle, are both basically frontends for dd, so you could try those also. Make sure to verify the download also.

Ok, it looks like it installed though, and you reached a user session. I've read that support for the 5500XT might need a newer kernel, so you could try to enter TTY4 (no graphical environment) to download and install a newer kernel. To clarify, I'm not certain that this will definitely fix your display, but newer AMD gear usually benefits from a newer kernel.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, at this time I haven't installed the OS yet, I'm just trying to boot the live version in order to be able to install it.

I already got some information that I can install it on safe graphics mode and then install the latest drivers, I will definitely give that a shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebgucciardi