• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Possible bug on 20.04 LTS with hybrid graphics

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
Hi all,
I'm writing because I have some problem with the new Pop release. I hasn't been able to identify precisely the culprit but when after the update my log dir, and especially two files (sys.log and kern.log) where both around 19.0Gb and not at all showing any error in the log files. First of I've deleted them and in not time they where there again, completely filling up my root dir. Then I've formatted and reinstall the system (I was previously on the 20.04 beta and I was thinking that maybe I'd screw up something) but the problem still persisted.
Now I've deleted them again and switched to Intel integrated graphics to see if the problem was related to the use of hybrid (Intel/Nvidia) settings.
For now everything seems normal and stable, and if actually so I'll switch back to hybrid and see if that's actually the problem.
Will keep you posted, but for now seems a bug (and a nasty one) to me, if that's the case.

Thank you all.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Yes, keep an eye on that. I've seen log files go to 120GB and prevent booting. I've never seen that on any of my own systems though. I helped someone else find a solution that prevented the disk from filling up, but I'd have to look it up again if that sounds like something you want. Although we got them to boot up, they never got back to me with a reason why syslog was growing. It wasn't hybrid.

Every new Pop installation I do gets "the treatment". Change the defaults in Settings>Privacy. Make sure Connectivity checking is off. Location services are off - unless you want them. In File History and Trash: Leave File History on, but reduce the duration. I use 7 days. In Trash and Temporary Files, enable the two Automatically Delete toggles and change the Period. I use 7 days.

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
Yes I'll continue to look at that and see, also I'll for now change anything of the above mentioned by you because I haven't done it in my previous installation (19.10) and not have any problem with log files after 6+ months, so I don't think it could be that the problem. I'll try your suggestion if I cannot find a clear culprit for this.
Thank you so much, and for now everything seems fine using only integrated Intel graphics.

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
Quick update. After a week of testing and simply using the system with intel integrated graphics only I haven't any abnormal log increase. Will try soon to switch to hybrid again and see if it's return.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travisd826