• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Post Your Rig

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
I thought it might be helpful to new users to document what hardware Pop has been made to work on, and what problems users might face with a given system. So... post your rig!

Personally, I'm running Pop on an ASUS ROG Strix GL502VS. Everything essential works out of the box. The one thing that's finicky is the keyboard backlight; it works, but doesn't play nicely with the tools in place to adjust it. This is due to the Strix having two different hardware components considered a "keyboard backlight" and the wrong one getting assigned to the standard backlight device. There are plenty of workarounds though.

alosarjos

Founding Member
Dec 1, 2018
Desktop machine. Ryzen 1700 + RX580

Pretty much works everything out of the box, my only problems are with the Motherboard built-in audio chip, the ALC1220 having cracking noise on the microphone.

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
Desktop machine. Ryzen 1700 + RX580

Pretty much works everything out of the box, my only problems are with the Motherboard built-in audio chip, the ALC1220 having cracking noise on the microphone.
Is it only the audio in that gives you issues or audio out too?

isantop

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 20, 2018
Shamelessly copied from Hexchat:

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (800MHz)
• Memory: Physical: 30.6 GiB Total (26.7 GiB Free) Swap: 3.9 GiB Total (3.9 GiB Free)
• Storage: 222.5 GB / 290.2 GB (67.7 GB Free)
• VGA: NVIDIA Corporation GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070 Mobile] @ Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers

alosarjos

Founding Member
Dec 1, 2018
Have you found a workaround/fix?
I'm able to reduce it, and sometimes it gets the audio really clean through Loopback after some fixes, but then on the apps it just has some noise

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
Shamelessly copied from Hexchat:

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (800MHz)
• Memory: Physical: 30.6 GiB Total (26.7 GiB Free) Swap: 3.9 GiB Total (3.9 GiB Free)
• Storage: 222.5 GB / 290.2 GB (67.7 GB Free)
• VGA: NVIDIA Corporation GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070 Mobile] @ Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
Not too shabby! Everything worked out of the box?

isantop

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 20, 2018

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I thought it might be helpful to new users to document what hardware Pop has been made to work on, and what problems users might face with a given system. So... post your rig!
May be useful to have this info stored in a database, and then a friendly UI to display them, similar to ProtonDB.

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
Okay! I've installed and used at length pop!_OS LTS on...

Apple Mac mini (Late 2012) Core i7 Quad

This is a relatively high-end system from several years ago. It was sold as a prosumer workstation for video, audio, and heavy photo editing. A beefy quad-core Core i7 sits at the core of it. It's a mobile part, but it's got the power when you need it. It really falters in the graphics department, with pitiful Intel HD 4000 graphics which barely ran World of Warcraft for me at acceptable settings. It runs Xorg just fine, but don't bother with Wayland, you get a lot of hangs and quirky cursor movement. Everything else is just perfect, though.

Make sure you install tlp and cpufreq-indicator. You need the ubuntu indicators extension for cpufreq to work, and it lets you switch between powersave and performance. Powersave will help cut down on heat.

Quad core Intel® Core™ i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Gigabit Ethernet, onboard WiFi, Bluetooth, audio all functional.
CPU settings available via cpufreq-indicator
tlp installed and running to manage temperature - system runs VERY hot without tlp

Lenovo Thinkpad X140E

This is a durable (MIL-SPEC compliant!) compact Thinkpad from a few years back. It shipped during the Windows 8 era, so it's modestly recent. It's got an AMD A4 APU with Radeon HD 8330 graphics. This system is beautifully compatible and everything onboard works. The Broadcom WiFi chipset of course requires an additional download, but if you have ethernet, or an Ubuntu/Debian compatible USB WiFi dongle, Pop Shop automagically downloads the correct software. If not, then you'll need to manually configure the Broadcom support software.

The famous Trackpoint device works flawlessly, but the trackpad is utter garbage in Pop. It jerks and lurches around like a drunkard.

AMD A4-5000 Quad-Core processor
Audio, onboard Wifi (after download from Pop Shop), Bluetooth, and ethernet all functional

Last edited:

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
Lenovo ideaPad Flex 4-1130
Machine Type: 80U3

This is a low-cost ultrabook-style 2-in-one sporting an Intel Celeron N3350 "Apollo Lake" CPU. It's really a beefed-up Atom. Runs at 1.1GHz up to 2.4GHz burst. A 64GB eMMC drive and 2GB of RAM compliment it to create a pretty unremarkable system. It's built quite solidly, though, and feels really nice in the hands.

I'm running Pop!_OS LTS 18.04, and everything is perfect except for Bluetooth. It doesn't work out of the box. I might be able to make it work, but I don't give two craps about Bluetooth. The touchscreen works flawlessly, and the trackpad is smooth and accurate, which is more than can be said for the Thinkpad X140E.

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
Lenovo ThinkStation S20

This is a high-end workstation from around '09-'10 sporting a Xeon E5530. That's four cores, eight threads at 2.93GHz. I've got 12GB of RAM in there and three drives. A 128GB Patriot Spark SSD which is where Pop is installed, a 240GB SSD where Windows will be, and a 480GB spinning hard disk for data. If I can get everything I want with Windows on the 240, then that 480 will become /home.

Unless I just go get a ridiculously huge 7200RPM drive to have like 3TB or some crap like that.

Pop!_OS LTS 18.04 works with everything perfectly. Not surprising based on its age and the pedigree of the hardware. I forgot that my video is Nvidia and used the Intel/AMD installer, but Pop! Shop installed the Nvidia-340 driver automatically so all is well.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
HP Pavilion – 15-cs0099
Intel® Core™ i7-8550U 8th gen (1.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 2GB Graphics
Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)
15.6" diagonal FHD SVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
Full-size island-style keyboard with numeric keypad
HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
Intel® 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
B&O PLAY, dual speakers, HP Audio Boost

I initially dual booted to see if I'd have any problems on the hardware. I utilized the NVIDIA ISO and after I used the custom partitioning option, Pop installed faultlessly and shared the EFI with Windows perfectly. I used it for a week and then utilized GParted to completely wipe Windows 10 and every last piece of HP crapware which included;

HP 3D DriveGuard; HP Audio Switch; HP Documentation; HP ePrint; HP JumpStart; HP Recovery Manager; HP Support Assistant; HP Sure Connect, McAfee LiveSafe™ 30-day free trial offer.

The installation of Pop!_OS went perfectly! I allowed the Pop installer to do its thing and on reboot everything worked right out of the box. I've had no major problems except some battery performance issues which have mostly been sorted now, and some WiFi drop-outs that resulted in my VPN disconnecting and exposing my IP. I fixed that issue with a crude firewall killswitch. Pop has been faultless ever since. I've tried to keep this install clean so I trial any software, especially anything that isn't native, on a second desktop machine first.

I will mention that I don't use the Pop Shop so I'm not sure how that works.

Last edited:

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
Is the HP ImagePad just a bog standard Synaptics trackpad?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
This is my first HP laptop so I'm not familiar with what was available before. I'm assuming the Imagepad is better than bog standard because it is being installed in OMEN gaming laptops. If you know how to get the information you're after I'm happy to dig deeper and let you know.

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
Honestly I was just curious. I’ve been interested to see how one of the Microsoft “Precision” trackpads does in Linux.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reclusivescavenger