• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Happy New Year!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Problems with intel drivers (i915) after upgrade to 19.10 (and 5.3 kernel)

lnicolao

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2019
Anybody else have issues with VGA after the upgrade to 19.10? I couldn't boot after the upgrade. I figured the issue was with the 5.3 kernel. I further found out the problem was the 5.3 kernel AND my VGA (dsub) out. I have a dual monitor setup on HDMI + VGA. After I disconnected the VGA, I booted successfully on the 5.3 kernel. Does anybody have an idea on what's going on? It is not an issue for the 5.0 kernel. I am running 19.10, 5.3.0-22-generic on an i7-8700, Intel UHD Graphics 630. Currently, only HDMI out is being used.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
This is a hardware issue, not a Pop specific issue, and there seems to be a couple ways to go about fixing it. Intel have changed their focus on drivers, probably due to the advances in Wayland, but has left the traditional driver largely unmaintained.
Here's some information with fixes that range from deleting a driver to adjusting kernel-stub and updating BIOS.

Reactions: lnicolao

lnicolao

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2019
This is a hardware issue, not a Pop specific issue, and there seems to be a couple ways to go about fixing it. Intel have changed their focus on drivers, probably due to the advances in Wayland, but has left the traditional driver largely unmaintained.
Here's some information with fixes that range from deleting a driver to adjusting kernel-stub and updating BIOS.

Thank you!
I have seen both solutions, but I didn't know how to go about them on Pop. For one, Pop doesn't use GRUB, which makes the Ubuntu solution not feasible. Second, I have updated my BIOS and it didn't work. Finally, the Arch solution includes a driver not present on Pop. Is xf86-video-intel for Arch the same as xserver-xorg-video-intel for Pop?

PS.: I tried to revert back to 5.0 kernel, but systemd-boot only shows the current and past kernels and, at this point, both are 5.3

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
It's not necessary to be installed since Intel drivers now use the generic modesetting driver. You could always reinstall it if it gives you issues.

lnicolao

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2019
For those who are having a similar problem, I couldn't fix this and had to revert to kernel 5.0.0-32. Because both my current and old kernels were 5.3 at this point, I created a new entry on systemd-boot following this guide:
https://frank.kumro.io/installing-a-mainline-kernel-on-popos/

Except that I still had the 5.0.0-32 files in there, and didn't have to install them.
I guess no kernel 5.3 for me in the foreseeable future. Hope I don't miss much by holding onto 5.0

lnicolao

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2019
Exactly. If I boot under 5.3, the VGA port is not available. If I try to boot with a monitor connected to it, it doesn't boot at all. For 5.0, everything is fine though

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I'm upgrading a desktop on the coming weekend which has dual monitors, one HDMI and one VGA. I have Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) in that one, so I guess I'll see if it happens. Keep you posted. I may be able to dig in some logs.

lnicolao

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2019
I'm upgrading a desktop on the coming weekend which has dual monitors, one HDMI and one VGA. I have Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) in that one, so I guess I'll see if it happens. Keep you posted. I may be able to dig in some logs.
Great! I'll keep an eye on you posts. Thanks for following up

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leonardobd