• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question Solved Problems with kernelstub

wrhgw

Oct 24, 2019
I am on 19.04 and I don't know what exactly I have messed up but I cannot update the kernel and hence to 19.10.
Here are the errors I get

Code:
kernelstub.Config    : INFO     Looking for configuration...
kernelstub.Drive     : ERROR    Could not find a block device for the a partition. This is a critical error and we cannot continue.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/kernelstub/drive.py", line 56, in __init__
    self.esp_fs = self.get_part_dev(self.esp_path)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/kernelstub/drive.py", line 94, in get_part_dev
    raise NoBlockDevError('Couldn\'t find the block device for %s' % path)
kernelstub.drive.NoBlockDevError: Couldn't find the block device for /boot/efi
dpkg: error processing package plymouth-theme-pop-basic (--configure):
 installed plymouth-theme-pop-basic package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 174
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pop-default-settings:
 pop-default-settings depends on plymouth-theme-pop-basic; however:
  Package plymouth-theme-pop-basic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package pop-default-settings (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                                                                                          Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.131ubuntu19.1pop1) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.0.0-32-generic
cryptsetup: ERROR: Couldn't resolve device
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/2ae6f8f6-34ae-4196-af06-5488a0aa1f09
cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries
    nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the
    'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup initramfs
    integration and avoid this warning.
kernelstub.Config    : INFO     Looking for configuration...
kernelstub           : WARNING  Live mode is enabled!
Kernelstub is running in live environment mode. This usually means that you are running a live disk, and kernelstub should not run. We are thus exiting with 0.
If you are not running a live disk, please run `sudo kernelstub` to disable live mode.
Errors were encountered while processing:
 plymouth-theme-pop-basic
 pop-default-settings
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Here is the output of lsblk -f
Code:
sda                                                                                 
├─sda1 ext4                     cf6415b2-351b-4740-8ffe-2ba33fe9999b   18,8G    64% /
├─sda2 ext4     home            c427bd3d-0085-4412-9f91-e11728f3e126    3,8G    92% /home
└─sda3 swap                     5225954b-a834-4187-8e0a-cf98e0b6181e                [SWAP]
sdb                                                                                 
├─sdb1 ntfs     System Reserved 01D0C77618429730                                   
└─sdb2 ntfs                     01D0C77B583B98E1                        4,3G    98% /home/user/ultrabay
where sdb has Windows 7 installed.

I presume I may have removed the drive reference in kernelstub but don't know where to start fixing it.

wrhgw

Oct 24, 2019
I can log in the system just fine and I don't use uefi - the system uses grub. A month ago I was trying to change the default boot kernel version and perhaps I messed something up then.

wrhgw

Oct 24, 2019
running sudo kernelstub gives:
Code:
kernelstub.Drive     : ERROR    Could not find a block device for the a partition. This is a critical error and we cannot continue.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/kernelstub/drive.py", line 56, in __init__
    self.esp_fs = self.get_part_dev(self.esp_path)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/kernelstub/drive.py", line 94, in get_part_dev
    raise NoBlockDevError('Couldn\'t find the block device for %s' % path)
kernelstub.drive.NoBlockDevError: Couldn't find the block device for /boot/efi

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I don't see the FAT32 EFI partition in that partition list, which is the problem. Kernelstub can't do anything if the EFI partition isn't mounted at `/boot/efi`

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krige