• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question re: Wayland performance

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
I refreshed Pop! 18.04 on my i7 Mac mini recently and decided to give Wayland another try. When I tried it last year on this same system, it was quite disappointing, but now the difference is quite astounding. Much smoother, and now it feels better than X11.

Then just now on a Celeron N3350-powered cheap notebook, again, Wayland is very nice.

Is this something special done in Pop! or has Wayland's hardware support improved over the last 6-or-so months?

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
Yes, both of those have happened.
Well, I like it! Pop! is hands down faster than macOS Mojave on this hardware. And macOS won't let you access the console directly. Sometimes I like to telinit 3 and go gui-less :D

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
There actually shouldn't be much difference in performance between Xorg and Wayland now.

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
That's awesome! I'm still seeing a little bit of mouse stuttering in Wayland on my old Xeon workstation, but Xorg is butter smooth on that system.

All is well!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reclusivescavenger