• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Remove or merge top bar of window.

bdmorin

Sep 16, 2020
Indiana
I'd like to be able to remove or merge the windows top bar with to make the real estate smaller on a window. Typically the window title, and close/maximize/minimize buttons are there. I don't know the correct terms to identify the window part to properly search. I tried top bar, but apparently that's the literal top bar of the window manager.

If anyone can either help me name the window part, or if what I want to do is even possible, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Adam Kadmon

Jul 25, 2020
You might want to give this extension a try.

There's also the No Title Bar extension (from which the above one was forked), and the Pixel-Saver extension from which it in turn was forked. I got this information from the No Title Bar Forked extension's GitHub, here.

I'm after the same effect as you, but these extensions (and a few others I tried that affected the top bar and title bar) all broke suspend on my laptop, so I disabled and removed them - please do let us know how you go, I'm curious as to whether it's a Pop thing or just my rig.

Edits:

Since I'm digging around in my bookmarks anyway, here are the links to the two other extensions I came across:
"This is based on the no-title-bar extension by franglais125 (https://github.com/franglais125/no-title-bar), which itself is a fork of the Pixel-Saver extension, by @deadalnix: https://github.com/deadalnix/pixel-saver"

And here's a more manual approach using CSS files: https://www.bidon.ca/fr/random/2017-02-25-customizing-gnome-shell-3-20 It might be dated by now but it could come in handy nonetheless.

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
What you're looking for is Window titlebar. There's a couple ways to go about it. You can enable Pop-Shell tiling and toggle the "show window titles" off. If you don't want tiling on, you can look for an example of how to make a custom .css. Someone posted a good example recently. Or you can install a theme that has smaller titlebars. Personally, I'd make a custom .css if it was important to me. Keeping things close to stock will give you rock solid stability. I use Pop-Shell tiling though.

MikeStutzzzz

Mar 10, 2019
I think what you are looking for is unite
This allows you to move all the tittle bar stuff to the top window.
I used it for a while worked fine. Personally I am more of a fan of using pop shell with tittlebar off. although there are some applications that don't work for it.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Will Bee