• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Replicate entire system from one laptop to exact same hardware, different laptop

asmodeos

Jul 17, 2020
Hello!

My first Lemur Pro had a battery capacity issue. They are sending me a new unit that arrives next week.

I have the first machine configured exactly how I like it. I’d love to avoid reconfiguring my whole development environment.

system76 mentioned I could physically exchange the drives from the old machine to the new. I’d like to avoid that.

Is there a best practice for replicating my drives across two of the exact same machine? Including encrypted drives?

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
If the disks are exactly the same size, you could create/restore using "Disks" https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Disks
Clonezilla https://clonezilla.org/ would also be a good choice of creating an image then restoring the image to another disk.

Encryption shouldn't matter, it should decrypt on boot as usual.

If the drives are different sizes, you could look at backing up and restoring via Timeshift. https://pop-planet.info/2019/01/backup-pop_os-simple-easy-and-thorough/
In either case, I would also copy any important data to an external device as a precaution.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Lot's of good options, and all will get you there with a little work. I think you're asking about creating a "system image" which is an exact one-for-one bootable copy. If so, Clonezilla is a tried and true candidate.

asmodeos

Jul 17, 2020
Lot's of good options, and all will get you there with a little work. I think you're asking about creating a "system image" which is an exact one-for-one bootable copy. If so, Clonezilla is a tried and true candidate.
Clonezilla looks like exactly what I need. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebgucciardi