• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

[RESOLVED] Extending the root partition?

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Hi folks,

I described a method to extend the root partition adding a second disk, all that I am doing is a preparation for a real installation.
The method is available at the following link (no tracking, no seo, no google, nothing) hence I will avoid to rewrite it:

I think what I did is pretty rough and probably there are different and better ways to achieve it with POP!_Os, I would like to ask to any S76 Engineer any suggestion to improve my procedure.

Thanks in advance and happy 4!

EDIT: A BETTER METHOD IS AVAILABLE AT THE BOTTOM

Last edited:

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Hi there I am trying other way to achieve this goal. One of those was to install all root in a already prepared crypted lvm partition however the installer is unable to unlock it and I don't understand why, please take a look at issue:

I tried to unlock in this step, using the default setup

But it failed, then I tried a different device name:

Then I skipped this step and tried in the partition page:

I also enabled the LVM partition using an official guide:

However even if properly mounted and enabled the installer was totally insensitive a this change and still continued to give me the same error.

Now I will do a normal install, backup root somewhere, I'll delete the root partition and I will create a new encrypted lvm root spread on two disks, restoring the back and modify the fstab to see if I am able to trick the boot-loader...

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Keep us apprised of any progress. Maybe I'm ignorant about it because I'm not an encryption dev, but my understanding is that Pop!_OS is designed to either do "full disk encryption" or none at all. If you choose to not encrypt the disk fully then you can manual encrypt on a filesystem level with LUKS. When full disk encryption is chosen, LUKS applies encryption at the block level beneath the file system, and the file system itself does not exist outside of the virtual volume created by a LUKS and/or a LVM device. So I'm assuming what your attempting to do cannot work, but if you have success let us know.

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
So far I see POP uses LUKS probably more at hardware rather than at the partition level. I was using Debian to create LVM partitioning however the installer was unable to unlock the encryption thus I tried with Ubuntu server:

But on the POP installer even if I am able to unlock the encryption it didn't recognize the LVM properly and the second disk SDB is read as unused:

The installer can't find the second disk for some reason:

🤔

Last edited:

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
I realized I was encrypting the LVM device and not the underlying physical partitions. I noticed it reading a System76 article, if I encrypt the SDA3 and SDB partition those are regularly recognized by the installer; but at this point I think the installer has a bug and the installer get stuck unable to unlock the second disk...

Code:
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:163] obtaining disk information from /dev/sda
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/serial.rs:16] obtaining serial model from /dev/sda
[INFO distinst:crates/disk-ops/src/parted.rs:28] opening disk at /dev/sda
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sda1
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sda2
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sda3
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:163] obtaining disk information from /dev/sdb
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/serial.rs:16] obtaining serial model from /dev/sdb
[INFO distinst:crates/disk-ops/src/parted.rs:28] opening disk at /dev/sdb
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sdb1
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:163] obtaining disk information from /dev/sr0
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/serial.rs:16] obtaining serial model from /dev/sr0
[INFO distinst:crates/disk-ops/src/parted.rs:28] opening disk at /dev/sr0
Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0 has been opened read-only.
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sr0p2
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lvm.rs:228] obtaining list of physical volumes
Device /dev/sr0p2 doesn't exist or access denied.
[INFO distinst:src/auto/options/mod.rs:152] found erase option on "/dev/sda": 52428800 sectors
[INFO distinst:src/auto/options/mod.rs:152] found erase option on "/dev/sdb": 52428800 sectors
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:163] obtaining disk information from /dev/sda
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/serial.rs:16] obtaining serial model from /dev/sda
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sda1
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sda2
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sda3
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:163] obtaining disk information from /dev/sdb
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/serial.rs:16] obtaining serial model from /dev/sdb
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sdb1
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disk.rs:163] obtaining disk information from /dev/sr0
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/serial.rs:16] obtaining serial model from /dev/sr0
Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0 has been opened read-only.
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/partitions/mod.rs:109] obtaining partition information from /dev/sr0p2
Error: Error opening file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq: No such file or directory
[ERROR distinst:ffi/src/lib.rs:56] libdistinst: pointer in FFI is null
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disks.rs:455] decrypting partition at "/dev/sda3"
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lvm.rs:53] searching for device maps to deactivate
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/external.rs:125] cryptsetup is opening /dev/sda3 with pv sda3 and LvmEncryption { physical_volume: sda3, password: hidden, keydata: None }
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lib.rs:34] executing cryptsetup with ["open", "/dev/sda3", "sda3"]
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lvm.rs:228] obtaining list of physical volumes
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disks.rs:484] settings luks_parent to "/dev/sda3"
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/lvm/mod.rs:191] adding partitions to LVM device
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lvm.rs:270] activating 'debian'
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lib.rs:34] executing vgchange with ["-ffyay", "debian"]
  Couldn't find device with uuid HvPfUQ-t9Bf-vV7k-iNbU-aPXJ-JIbY-lvL2Xb.
  Refusing activation of partial LV debian/root.  Use '--activationmode partial' to override.
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lvm.rs:176] obtaining logical volumes on debian
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/lvm/mod.rs:199] waiting 1 second because "/dev/mapper/debian-root" does not exist yet
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/lvm/mod.rs:199] waiting 1 second because "/dev/mapper/debian-root" does not exist yet
unable to get size of LVM device "/dev/mapper/debian-root": No such file or directory (os error 2)
[INFO distinst:ffi/src/lvm.rs:74] getting logical device
[ERROR distinst:ffi/src/lib.rs:56] libdistinst: pointer in FFI is null
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disks.rs:455] decrypting partition at "/dev/sdb1"
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lvm.rs:53] searching for device maps to deactivate
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/external.rs:125] cryptsetup is opening /dev/sdb1 with pv sdb and LvmEncryption { physical_volume: sdb, password: hidden, keydata: None }
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lib.rs:34] executing cryptsetup with ["open", "/dev/sdb1", "sdb"]
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/disks.rs:484] settings luks_parent to "/dev/sdb1"
[INFO distinst:crates/disks/src/config/lvm/mod.rs:191] adding partitions to LVM device
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lvm.rs:270] activating 'debian'
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lib.rs:34] executing vgchange with ["-ffyay", "debian"]
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/lvm.rs:176] obtaining logical volumes on debian
[INFO distinst:crates/external/src/block.rs:45] blkid found 'TYPE="ext4"'
[INFO distinst:ffi/src/lvm.rs:74] getting logical device
However all these issues gave me an idea... 😏

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Oh men I did it!

All this painful process could be avoidable if just the Elementary Installer was able to unlock multiple devices, but I guess it has a bug and then it gets stuck!

Last edited:

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Hi all,

I prepared a blog article to illustrate all this process, with some spices comments at the end...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmaks