• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

[RESOLVED] Partitioning Dilemma

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
I am almost ready to install POP! I have just one small dilemma I am not sure about how partitioning my Serval...
Right now I have 2 SSD of 250GB each, I always created separate partitions for /root and /home but the usual 30GB I have the habit to designate for /root today are very few, I thought I can double the size and even create 80GB of /root.
I saw during some test that POP! is able to reinstall itself without wiping out your home, this is actually cool and modern and solves my concerning about enough space available, however the current installer has a bug that prevent to unlock more than one partition at time, with two disk encrypted if for some reason I have to reinstall POP!, it will be unable to reinstall itself...

What should I do? Taking the risk and use one partition or split the partitions in 60GB for / and the rest available for /home?

🤔

Last edited:

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
It came out that on Debian/Ubuntu you can't use scripts on the crypttab file because systemd... :rolleyes:

My original scope was to unlock the second disk without entering the password. I initially tried with a key stored on root but then I realized: if root is not mounted the key is inaccessible.

Arch Linux has a method to unlock multiple devices on LVM but this is unavailable on the Debian based distro, before systemd there were several methods to achieve it through the Debian scripts; it means that probably I have to create two lv volumes (root and home) in order to use the key, so I can unlock the first and then grab the key to open the second...

Last edited:

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
I just found a way to use a key to unlock the second disk automatically on POP! (Also Debian and Ubuntu)

Regarding the bug of the Elementary Installer eventually I realized that it depends by a setup that doesn't allow partial LVM mounting, if Elementary or System76 will change this internal behavior probably mounting complexed LVM partitions during the installation might be possible.

Thanks! 👍

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmaks