• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Returning to Debian

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
After about one year using POP!_os my conclusion is that has been an unpleasant experience. Mostly depends by Gnome 3, other bigger part belong to Ubuntu itself, the part from System76 is inconsistent... Some stuff are done well other are arguable.

What I learned from this experience is that I won't buy hardware that is tied or connected officially with Linux again (I did that error twice), because you'll find another company that will try to bond you in its ecosystem. Better buying hardware that is known to work well with Linux but it has a W10 business model built on top because once you wipe out W10 forever you are free and anything strange will appears with your hardware because anyone will be able to reach you because it need you buy new hardware.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Everyone has a different expectation and experience from their machines and OS. I'm sorry to hear your's is not what you expect from System76 hardware. Have you spoken to them directly about your concerns or issues? I'd be interested to hear their response - good or bad.
What do you expect from Debian that Pop and Ubuntu are lacking then?

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
As a matter of fact exist a lot of distros to satisfy any tastes. But when I moved to POP one year ago I was pretty upset with the Debian community and the lacking of initiative and ideas about the Debian future developments, hence I moved to POP because I own a S76 hardware, it seemed to be the logical consequence; even because back to time from Debian was a bit clunky having access to the firmware updating software.

For me is the sum of the idiosyncrasies behind the main point area that make up POP.

Gnome 3: Including the S76 extension, I need 20 extension to shape G3 for my habits, and all those extensions are intermittent, at any updated something get broken. There is something wrong in the design if I need 20 extensions to make a DE usable for my needs.

Ubuntu: it is a PR product to push Canonical services in the cloud, that what has became the brand Ubuntu across the years. But they still continue to behave as they were the savior of the Linux Desktop. Behind Ubuntu there are too many arguable choices that are made for the sake of Canonical nothing is really related with the community. As a matter of fact Ubuntu's bugs can continue to exist forever if those do not affect the server realm.

POP!_os: it is tailored with a very specific use case in mind and it organizes everything around it. If you fit in this use case fine, otherwise it adds other weirdness on your Linux experience like an installer that wipe out all the other distro because it uses systemd-boot rather than GRUB.

I don't want mention S76, but I had bad experience with their customer service, however the points are almost the same for Canonical or any other company that is related with Linux.

Do you want your distro to be an expression of a (true) community or a product from a company?
Do you want be considered as a member of a community or as a customer of a corporation?

For me those answers matter more than having the most polished distro in the world.

Why Debian or other Debian community derivatives?

Simply because the pivot that moves all the choices in those distro are exclusively into the interests of the community because there aren't other interests, while a company in order to survive must do profitable choices, and this is fair and reasonable but at certain point those choices will go against your freedom; looks at Canonical and Ubuntu Phone, MIR, Unity etc...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonzenith