• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Setting up Pop OS with AMD Ryzen 7 (3700) and 1660tiGPU

ashwath98

Aug 5, 2020
I have recently bought a zephyrus ga502 and wanted help with installing pop on it.
Ubuntu Forums has a guide for setting up ubuntu on the system (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2420199), The primary issue is that the there is thermal throttling problem which was patched in kernel version 5.7+. so either I need to install a newer kernel version or do a livepatch to the kernel.

I have spoken to some POP OS users on the thread and I was suggested the two solutions

1 : Install Nvdia ISO -> Update Everything -> Upgrade to mainline kernel version 5.7 -> Switch to AMD graphics -> Remove Everything from nvidia -> nstall nvidia-common and sudo apt-get install nvidia-440
2 : Install Nvdia ISO -> Update Everything -> Upgrade to xanmod kernel 5.7 -> installing latest nvidia drivers following autoinstall procedure from this(
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux)

Has anyone managed to setup pop on similar system? If so what did they do?
I read system-76 has own nvidia drivers will installing the other ones cause issues?
Also which of these two seems to be the safest approach?

ashwath98

Aug 5, 2020
I've installed it on my old pc. I'm worried about installing it on this one as many people have run it into problems and I am a beginner. Will try out live USB on a weekend and see what happens and see what happens

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I think you will probably find that a simple kernel upgrade will help if necessary. Just see if it works as is first.

ashwath98

Aug 5, 2020
alright. you suggest trying to update the kernel before installing and seeing if it works? Thanks a lot

ashwath98

Aug 5, 2020
Have you tried to install Pop yet? Does the live USB work for you?
Hey the Live USB loads the OS perfectly fine, the only issue I have is that the wifi is not working. I presume this is a common issue in my system as it was also mentioned here (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2440670)

this is the suggestion in the thread to fix this is setting up with third party drivers for realtek

sudo apt-get install --reinstall git dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
git clone https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce
cd rtl8821ce
chmod +x dkms-install.sh
chmod +x dkms-remove.sh
sudo ./dkms-install.sh

do you know any other way to fix this?

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member